You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Document assembly from several publisher diles.

I would love to have a document assembly feature where one can maintain several separate publisher docuements and have a master document that does little more than assemble them and sort out any formatting/layout issues.

A good example use case for this would be to have a master document for a book which has an 'include' placeholder for separate documents for each chapter of that book. Each chapter could then be edited separately and then published as a whole via the master document.

Forgive me if this has already been suggested, there are too many posts here to go through them all manually and my search attempts found nothing.

2 hours ago, fingers said:

I would love to have a document assembly feature where one can maintain several separate publisher docuements and have a master document that does little more than assemble them and sort out any formatting/layout issues.

Forgive me if this has already been suggested, there are too many posts here to go through them all manually and my search attempts found nothing.

Hello @fingers,

this has been requested several times usually in the context of assembling a book with multiple chapters. Those threads are perhaps a little hard to find that's why I'm chiming in.
This is one of the older ones:

Serif have indicated that they'd rather work on performance with long documents. In other words they seem to believe in the concept of one document no matter how large the project is. Actually I am working on a 600 pages book with about 230 images (linked) and APub's performance is quite good.

Still I support your feature request because linked document sections would allow several people to work on the same project. Each in a different section and then assembled together in a master document. I think APub's section manager could be used for this to not only define sections but also to define source documents that are pulled into the main document.

Cheers,
d.

Affinity Designer 1 & 2   |   Affinity Photo 1 & 2   |   Affinity Publisher 1 & 2
Affinity Designer 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Photo 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Publisher 2 for iPad

Windows 11 64-bit - Core i7 - 16GB - Intel HD Graphics 4600 & NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M
iPad pro 9.7" + Apple Pencil