You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Can't save brush edits

Adriano_C

I've been having to use a workaround to save edits made on brushes. Most of the time Photo won't save the changes I make to brushes unless I either duplicate them after the edit or if I click on a different brush WHILE I have the edit window open.

• Staff

Hi Adriano_C,

Thanks for the recording. When you make the Size Jitter change, the UI updates but the preview in the Brushes Panel does not but it should.

I've tried with a few imported .abr brushes and they retain the changed. I wonder if it's that set of brushes having the issue. Saying that, a brush you've created should also work as it does for me.

On 2/25/2021 at 9:55 AM, Adriano_C said:

If I do that it does keep the size as long as I'm using that brush. If I change to another brush then go back to that first brush, my change has been reverted to the original size.

As far as I know that is normal

You can't save those sort of changes to existing brushes

All you can do is make changes to a brush then duplicate it to create a new brush which contains those changes

If you look at your video you will see that immediately you change the Size Jitter the active brush is deselected in the brushes panel, indicating it is no longer the active brush

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

On 2/25/2021 at 10:55 AM, Adriano_C said:

If I do that it does keep the size as long as I'm using that brush. If I change to another brush then go back to that first brush, my change has been reverted to the original size.

It depends on the way you change the brush attributes. For example, if you change the size in the context bar image.png.1a94a9faa648aeeaf2a7fbb5232f8a91.png or by clicking on the "More" button image.png.b59a3333455bcbd8dcc663d55c5d397e.png, it does not work. But if you double-click on the brush in the Brushes panel or click on the "Edit brush" button image.png.acded76b45b8d17a40a55259a4d48867.png, it works. I don't think this is intentional.

• Staff

Sorry I completely missed you were clicking More on the context toolbar... I am sorry.

This is by design. More on the context toolbar isn't a permanent edit - it's a quick way to temporarily tweak a brush. For permanent edits, you have to right-click the brush > Edit Brush.

You will notice that if you click More, the box just says Brush - Selection whereas if you click Edit Brush the box says Brush - Editing.