You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Photo Windows Customer Beta - 1.9.1.971

Click here to download the latest beta

Purpose: Fixes
Requirements: A valid product key (for Affinity Store purchases), or an installation of the full retail version from the Microsoft Store

As this is a beta it is considered to be not suitable for production use. This means that you should not attempt to use it for commercial purposes or for any other activity that may be adversely affected by the application failing, including the total loss of any documents. We hope you enjoy the latest build, and as always, if you've got any problems, please don't hesitate to post a new thread in this forum and we'll get back to you as soon as we can. Thanks once again for your continued feedback. 

If you have a general question about the software, please head over to the Questions Forum, or if you have any suggestions, please head over to the Feature Requests forum.

Changes

• Fixed failure to Save As after opening a read only document

Previous release notes

Hey Mark,

I tried new beta and noticed few things:

The blocks does appear on random images when I try to change exposure or shadows in the develop persona. However, it goes away when photo is opened in photo persona by clicking develop button in my testing so far.

Attached is the image and a screen print of develop persona.
Hope this helps.

developPersona.jpg

DSC_0363.NEF

Thanks @Kshitij Sharma, I can't reproduce on my system here, so may be related to driver version, or the hardware.

I have an NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1650 with driver version 456.81.

You have an NVIDIA Quadro P1000 with driver version 452.57.

Could you try uninstalling your graphics drivers, and then downloading and installing the latest drivers from NVIDIA? For reference, the latest available drivers are 461.40 (https://www.nvidia.co.uk/Download/driverResults.aspx/170163/en-uk). I'd be interested to know whether that fixes it for you.

5 hours ago, Mark Ingram said:

Thanks @Kshitij Sharma, I can't reproduce on my system here, so may be related to driver version, or the hardware.

I have an NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1650 with driver version 456.81.

You have an NVIDIA Quadro P1000 with driver version 452.57.

Could you try uninstalling your graphics drivers, and then downloading and installing the latest drivers from NVIDIA? For reference, the latest available drivers are 461.40 (https://www.nvidia.co.uk/Download/driverResults.aspx/170163/en-uk). I'd be interested to know whether that fixes it for you.

Thanks for pointing that out Mark. I updated drivers and problem no longer exists.

Thanks for the help again!

1 hour ago, aji said:

Getting back to 1.8.5 may be our best way before affinity 2.0.
Photoshop also left an issue about brush system since 20.0 and never gets fixed.
Cheap is enough and I will pay for affinity 2.0.

3 hours ago, Umiama said:

Getting back to 1.8.5 may be our best way before affinity 2.0.
Photoshop also left an issue about brush system since 20.0 and never gets fixed.
Cheap is enough and I will pay for affinity 2.0.

Why go back to 1.8.5? When all you have to do is disable OpenCL (for now). There are too many great features in 1.9 to give up on!

Desktop: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X, 32GB Ram, RTX 3070, LG 27" 4K 10Bit

Windows 11 22h2

Dell Laptop: i7 7700, 32GB Ram, GTX 1060, 16" 4K

Windows 10 22h2

I confess to being anxious about the requests to "load the latest drivers." I see four possible rationales behind such requests:

1) The program uses cutting-edge features that are only available (or bug-free) in recent versions of the drivers.

2) There is the possibility that the user has some sort of faulty installation, and installing new drivers might fix it.

3) The developers don't want to waste time debugging something that might be fixed in a more recent version of the drivers.

4) The Affinity application employs algorithms and features that are not mainstream, or which stress the graphics system in unusual ways.

I am completely fine with items (1), (2), and (3). But what about (4)? 

The reason for my concern is that, as a former IT person, I am all too-well familiar with the common scenario whereby updates break things, making matters worse. Suppose updating the graphic drivers solves an Affinity problem but causes some other graphic-reliant program to newly malfunction, or which causes system instability? We shouldn't be put in the position of having to hunt around for a driver version that works for all of our applications.

So my questions are: Is item (4) behind these failures, and if so, will the Affinity developers be working to harden their applications such that they work solidly across a wide range of driver implementations, and don't use the graphics system in ways that risk the program breaking anew when users install the latest-and-greatest version of the drivers? I would much rather have the program perform a bit slower than to have a program that's faster but brittle with respect to the graphic environment.

• Staff
2 hours ago, Gregory St. Laurent said:

Why go back to 1.8.5?

that suggestion was in relation to the quoted text from aji, discussing something that 1.9.0 does with brush pressure that 1.8.5 did not, that cannot be "fixed" by turning OpenCL off. For those who need that to work 1.8.5 is a sensible workaround

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

21 minutes ago, Patrick Connor said:

that suggestion was in relation to the quoted text from aji, discussing something that 1.9.0 does with brush pressure that 1.8.5 did not, that cannot be "fixed" by turning OpenCL off. For those who need that to work 1.8.5 is a sensible workaround

Gotcha, the response was mixed within the OpenCL problems discussion  hence the confusion, My apologies.

Desktop: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X, 32GB Ram, RTX 3070, LG 27" 4K 10Bit

Windows 11 22h2

Dell Laptop: i7 7700, 32GB Ram, GTX 1060, 16" 4K

Windows 10 22h2

• Staff

@Corgi

Welcome to the Serif Affinity forums :) 

That is quite the first post, particularly as it is made in the beta forum post made by the Windows Lead Developer who is communicating directly with the NVIDIA driver developers about problems that are normally sorted by updating to the latest drivers but are sometimes even happening in the very latest versions of their drivers.... So personally (my view based on testing and code review) I would say it is mainly (2) an amount of (1) and a handful of (4) that mean we have to do more defensive programming (as exists in this very beta). Side Note: The same defensive programming takes care of (3)

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

1 hour ago, Corgi said:

2) There is the possibility that the user has some sort of faulty installation, and installing new drivers might fix it.

Based on my experience so far, nearly all problems we've had with hardware acceleration or crashes during rendering have been solved by uninstalling and reinstalling the latest driver (for some reason, just updating doesn't tend to fix the issue).

1 hour ago, Mark Ingram said:

Based on my experience so far, nearly all problems we've had with hardware acceleration or crashes during rendering have been solved by uninstalling and reinstalling the latest driver (for some reason, just updating doesn't tend to fix the issue).

It could be interesting to hear what the driver manufacturers has to say about it - and what can be done (possibly by them). If Mister and Mrs Nesbit has to uninstall and reinstall the exact same driver to make something work then human evolution is paused. Personally I am not interested in Windows 14 BIG ASS 128-bit or OS X XTRA SHINY BLING - I just want my tools to assist me. 

• "The user interface is supposed to work for me - I am not supposed to work for the user interface."
  • Computer-, operating system- and software agnostic; I am a result oriented professional. Look for a fanboy somewhere else.
  • “When a wise man points at the moon the imbecile examines the finger.” ― Confucius
  • Not an Affinity user og forum user anymore. The software continued to disappoint and not deliver.

15 minutes ago, Jowday said:

It could be interesting to hear what the driver manufacturers has to say about it - and what can be done (possibly by them). If Mister and Mrs Nesbit has to uninstall and reinstall the exact same driver to make something work then human evolution is paused. Personally I am not interested in Windows 14 BIG ASS 128-bit or OS X XTRA SHINY BLING - I just want my tools to assist me. 

I agree - and I think the manufacturers will be puzzled too, because on a clean Windows install, or an uninstall and reinstall, the driver does the right thing. 

1 hour ago, Jowday said:

It could be interesting to hear what the driver manufacturers has to say about it ...

GeForce Hotfix Driver

A GeForce driver is an incredibly complex piece of software, We have an army of software engineers constantly adding features and fixing bugs. These changes are checked into the main driver branches, which are eventually run through a massive QA process and released.

Since we have so many changes being checked in, we usually try to align driver releases with significant game or product releases. This process has served us pretty well over the years but it has one significant weakness. Sometimes a change that is important to many users might end up sitting and waiting until we are able to release the driver.

The GeForce Hotfix driver is our way to trying to get some of these fixes out to you more quickly. These drivers are basically the same as the previous released version, with a small number of additional targeted fixes. The fixes that make it in are based in part on your feedback in the Driver Feedback threads and partly on how realistic it is for us to quickly address them. These fixes (and many more) will be incorporated into the next official driver release, at which time the Hotfix driver will be taken down.

To be sure, these Hotfix drivers are beta, optional and provided as-is. They are run through a much abbreviated QA process. The sole reason they exist is to get fixes out to you more quickly. The safest option is to wait for the next WHQL certified driver. But we know that many of you are willing to try these out.

These HotFix drivers represent a lot of additional work by our engineering teams, I hope they provide value for you. We’ll try it out and see if people like the idea and want us to continue.

Well it is similar everywhere, if not to say the same. Like Serif/Affinity, Nvidia tries to fix software bugs too (...in this regard, everyone is in the same boat).

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2