You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

In an earlier version of Publisher I gave a (gradient) colour background to a picture frame and placed a partly transparent picture in the frame. (a .png portrait without background)
The background than appeared as expected. I now try this again, but the background stays white. Where did I go wrong?

(I took a frame I made earlier and it just worked - I could even change the colour etc - . But when I make the frame from scratch it does not)

5 hours ago, Antoine_neth said:

In an earlier version of Publisher I gave a (gradient) colour background to a picture frame and placed a partly transparent picture in the frame. (a .png portrait without background)
The background than appeared as expected. I now try this again, but the background stays white. Where did I go wrong?

Still can do it in version 1.9.0.932

1. Place picture frame
2. With frame selected, in context bar click on Fill
3. Select Gradient Tab and set up your gradient colors  to taste
4. Select the frame
5. In the context tool bar make disable the "Clear fill on populate" (it's enabled by default)
   (I do wish the indication was more evident, definitely not good for us oldies).
6. In the context tool base, click on Replace image
7. Select an image
8. Now in the layers pane, open up the Picture frame layer to expose the image layer
9. Select the image in the layers tab (make sure the Picture frame above it isn't selected (toggling the image layer on and off will expose the gradient color background if you got step 5 right)
10. With the image lager selected reduce the opacity to taste.

Steps 8-10 wouldn't be necessary if you used a partly transparent image. I used a normal JPG

I'm not impressed by the effect in my demo image, but it does show the ideaPictture frame with gradient.jpg

Intel i7-10700 Gen10 CPU, 32GB RAM, Geforce GTX 1660 OC 6GB
Windows 10 Pro 22H2, 1x 1TB M.2 NVMe, 1 x 2TB M.2 NVMe. Affinity APh, APu, ADe