You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

1.9.0 seems very buggy and keeps crashing

7 hours ago, biomed32uk said:

Thaks for the feedback - interesting, I have 16gb RAM and try to keep whats running at a minimum. I did see the memory usage going right up when Affinity was running. I have 2tb primary HDD drive with plenty of space. Let me check into the paging file settings and see whats happening.

So the paging file was set to system managed size. Disabled it, deleted the pagefile.sys and re-enabled it to system managed and at least the HDR Tone mapping works now and thats with the acceleration enabled. Very odd, I will try some other tasks in Affinity and see what happens.

12 hours ago, biomed32uk said:

So the paging file was set to system managed size. Disabled it, deleted the pagefile.sys and re-enabled it to system managed and at least the HDR Tone mapping works now and thats with the acceleration enabled. Very odd, I will try some other tasks in Affinity and see what happens.

If you do spot another crash, I'd be interested to know what your RAM and disk usage looked like at the time

On 2/24/2021 at 3:06 PM, v_kyr said:

Usually since it crashes somewhere there around KernelBase.dll and it seems to be dependent (at least according to your crash dump output). - Though @Mark Ingram can tell you here much more concrete the exact cause/reason, since he is able to pass that crash dump output into appropriate Windows tools for debugging the whole (Dumpchk.exe, WinDbg.exe, VS etc.) in order to examine any APh dependencies then.

Thanks again for your kindness.  If I have further issues (with 1.9.1), I will research the issue.

In case anybody get's crashes due to possible OpenCL GPU enabled acceleration settings and thus due to misbehaving GPU drivers, I quickly made a little tool which automates the disabling of OpenCL settings in PerformancePreferences.xml files for Affinity Windows apps.

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

I have been using Affinity Photo for Windows since it's initial launch and have the software to be very powerful, stable, and very agile.  I have recommended the application to all of my photography friends due to this value to cost relationship.  The 1.90 and 1.91 upgrades have undermined my confidence in the software so much that I down-graded to version 1.85 to return to the stable and agile app that I know and enjoy.  I fear the focus on adding new features to the software is following Adobe's bad example and leading to an unstable app

1 hour ago, ChronMast said:

I have been using Affinity Photo for Windows since it's initial launch and have the software to be very powerful, stable, and very agile.  I have recommended the application to all of my photography friends due to this value to cost relationship.  The 1.90 and 1.91 upgrades have undermined my confidence in the software so much that I down-graded to version 1.85 to return to the stable and agile app that I know and enjoy.  I fear the focus on adding new features to the software is following Adobe's bad example and leading to an unstable app

Have you tried disabling hardware acceleration in 1.9.x? You should end up with the same performance as 1.8.5 with extra features and bug fixes.

If this is the case, please can you let me know what GPU (and driver version) you have?

Isn't the hardware acceleration one of the new touted features??  After reviewing the list of new features from your website, they don't make me want to upgrade.  Besides the 1.9.1 bug fix still has the same JPEG export problems that 1.90 has and the solution is to shut off hardware acceleration.  If I shut off the hardware acceleration the new features become sluggish.  So no, I'm sticking with 1.85 until you really fix 1.9

I have a GeForce GTX960M driver version 461.40

4 hours ago, ChronMast said:

Isn't the hardware acceleration one of the new touted features??  After reviewing the list of new features from your website, they don't make me want to upgrade.  Besides the 1.9.1 bug fix still has the same JPEG export problems that 1.90 has and the solution is to shut off hardware acceleration.  If I shut off the hardware acceleration the new features become sluggish.  So no, I'm sticking with 1.85 until you really fix 1.9

I have a GeForce GTX960M driver version 461.40

Yes, hardware acceleration is one of the new features. There are others.

If you disable hardware acceleration you should have exactly the same performance as 1.8.5. If that's not the case, then we can investigate. 

• 3 weeks later...

More crashes this month so far - this time two on Publisher and one on Photo -  they are attached.

OpenCL is not enabled

NO other application crashes like this!

Thom

Windows 10 pro
i7 with 32 gig of board memory
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 Hardware Acceleration is not enabled.

900107e1-68f5-47c1-9141-fbddc7250b80.dmp 03297535-4a02-47ff-ae95-07d65a37c9f5.dmp b5d8efe2-8ac7-430d-931d-612575914aba.dmp

12 minutes ago, Roar said:

More crashes this month so far - this time two on Publisher and one on Photo -  they are attached.

OpenCL is not enabled

NO other application crashes like this!

Thom

Windows 10 pro
i7 with 32 gig of board memory
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 Hardware Acceleration is not enabled.

900107e1-68f5-47c1-9141-fbddc7250b80.dmp 6.78 MB · 0 downloads 03297535-4a02-47ff-ae95-07d65a37c9f5.dmp 5.02 MB · 0 downloads b5d8efe2-8ac7-430d-931d-612575914aba.dmp 7.88 MB · 0 downloads

Try downloading 1.9.1.  I have not crashed but one freeze in weeks...  I was having all kinds of crashing too...

1 minute ago, Nita Reed said:

Try downloading 1.9.1.  I have not crashed but one freeze in weeks...  I was having all kinds of crashing too...

Thanks, but I am at 1.9.1.979 now...