You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

1.9 Photo and Designer crashing on startup -- previous versions didn't

Astara

I don't seem to be able to get Photo or Designer to start after switching to 1.9.

I tried to look at the prob -- it seems they crash right after scanning the fonts, but unable to determine why.

I'll attach a procmon trace in xml format.  The 257MB trace shrank to 6.7M in 7z format.

Running Win7SP1x64 on an 8-core (Hyper threading disabled), 96G  RAM, w/6-10GB GPU mem on a GeForce RTX 2080 Ti.

I haven't used either product extensively since the long time to startup made me lose interest in doing anything.  I keep hoping that someone will take the font performance issue seriously, such that it is eliminated, since the serif apps are the only ones with such a problem on every startup, even though I almost never  used the font features in photoshop (not a big part of my workflow).

They have gotten better, but I note that many of the fonts are read twice and for some reason the font-reading process does a disk-status call with each font lookup, so it doesn't look like much time has been spent trying to make it efficient or fast, not to mention doing the whole font read-in once and caching it -- then updating the cache only when new fonts have been added.  Also besides reading the font resources in a background thread, could also get some serious improvement by splitting up the job across multiple cores and merging the results via shared memory, though even a merge-sort on 'N' result files (N maybe # of cores) would likely give a strong speedup.  Of course being the masochist that I am, I'll startup both photo+designer at same time because I don't know them very well and not sure which has which features that I might want to try.

But now, doesn't want to startup at all.  Any ideas?  Especially since both crash now?  :-(

photo-procmon.7z

Designer-CrashReports.7z photo_CrashReports.7z

Edited by Astara
added crashreports for both crashing programs

• 2 weeks later...
  • Staff

Sorry.

Thank you for reporting a problem using 1.9.0 . Sorry but It appears that a member of the Affinity team was unable to assist investigating this specific report posted in the bugs forums. We are very sorry for this oversight.

Now we have released 1.9.1 on all platforms containing many bug fixes that a lot of users made similar threads about, and so we hope your problem has already been fully addressed. 

If you are still experiencing your problem in the 1.9.1 release build, then the QA team would really appreciate you reporting again in the relevant Bugs forum.

Each of those links above contains instructions how best to report a bug to us. If that is what you already did in this thread just copy paste your original report into a new thread. We appreciate all the information that you have including sample files and screen shots to help us replicate your problem.

Yours is one of a number of reports that I am posting this apology to, using an automated script. This thread has now been locked as the team are not following the threads to which this automatic reply is made, which is why we would appreciate a new bug report if you are still have this problem in the current 1.9.1 release build.