You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Color changes by importing nef file

image.png.310c211d1536c782590ae7bfeb77d76e.png

Hello,

if a nef-file is imported the colors shown are not the one in the file. Her is an example. The Capture NX is a NIKON Software. But also in othe Software like XnViewMP the colors are like in the Nikon Software. Only Affinity shows this colors.. Something wrong in the setting of then Program?

image.png.8f10f451fe5872d4b81564d3db771666.png

• 2 weeks later...
  • Staff

Hi @Dutch-Pavlo,
Sorry for the delay getting back to you. We have been a bit busy with all the feedback/reports we are getting from latest 1.9 and 1.9.1 releases.
Do you mind attaching the NEF file shown in your screenshots please? I can provide an upload link if you wish to keep the file private - just let me know.
Thanks for your report.

Hi,

Yes, please send me an upload link. I want the file to stay private. I had just a look at  .nef files made with my Nikom D800. For this Pictures the color are OK. So the Problem only occures with Pictures which are created by scanning a negative. These are scanned with the NIKON Super Coolscan 5000 ED. I believe this scanner creates pictures with a higher color depth

image.png.cdb6e0533df113a6efdc716d75ef89a6.png

I have a feeling that the Nikon software stores an embedded JPG preview plus a color profile / color settings that is used by Nikon software and the embedded jpg is read by XnView (some RAW viewers show the embedded JPG preview, not the RAW data) while Affinity simple reads the RAW data and renders the image using the white balance from the RAW data - actually renders the RAW data from scratch.

Just a hunch - but the somewhat natural colors in Affinity Photo substantiates my theory, I think.

Some info from XnView: https://newsgroup.xnview.com/viewtopic.php?t=6100

You will loose some of the niceties from manufacturers like Nikon when using third party software. Adobe added color profiles almost identical to those found in Nikon cameras to Photoshop and Lightroom but it is still not the same or as much as what you get from using Nikon software with Nikon cameras and scanners. Manufacturers can store a lot in the RAW files besides the image data and metadata. Unfortunately their own software is often far from perfect.

• "The user interface is supposed to work for me - I am not supposed to work for the user interface."
  • Computer-, operating system- and software agnostic; I am a result oriented professional. Look for a fanboy somewhere else.
  • “When a wise man points at the moon the imbecile examines the finger.” ― Confucius
  • Not an Affinity user og forum user anymore. The software continued to disappoint and not deliver.