You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Designer 1.9.0.932 & Beta 1.9.1.963 crashing on Print

Steve_N

Hi Devs/Admin,

Since udating to 1.9.0.932 I am now experiencing crashes when printing any file using either above version.  We use Designer for product creation and outputting to our lasers print spool for acrylic cutting. These crashes do occur for every print situation, not only from multiple artboard files as noted in the Beta fix changelog. Resaving/re-editing files do not help.

Our business is currently at a stand-still as I made the foolish mistake of saving our current full creation using the latest 1.9.0 format. Now I cannot open it in 1.8.5. 
I could try and jump through many '.eps export hoops' to attempt print access and rejigging in 1.8.5, however I do have a lot of integration/grouping optimisation in use and always need to print from the native .afdesign file into the laser print spool. These are all lost if I export to .eps then back to .afdesign.
Basically if I can't print native from Designer it makes my process of setting up our creations for production laser cutting a logistical nightmare. Especially when printing the hundreds of different pieces with highly optimised acrylic cutting-sheet layouts. Years of experience/trial using our current process show that export/import (eps/svg) also opens up possibility for strange print/laser cutting variations in the final assembled piece.

I have read through every possible thread to try and align this topic with a similar bug, however because we now have total printing lockout, I feel this needs immediate attention so we can get back to business asap.

Will you require the crash report file from AppData > Roaming > Affinity > Designer > 1.0 (Beta) > CrashReports > reports ? Or some other location?  I can also provide the full system info .txt file and program file used for designing/printing if you let me know how to securely get it to you.

Main System (although the laptop now has the same print issue):
Win10 Pro
Desktop Intel i7 8700 3.2GHz 32GB Ram
NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1070 Ti

Please let me know what else you may need to assist.

Regards

• Staff

Hi Steve_N

Thanks for your post. If you could send us the crash reports relating to the time of the crashes and the file you're using (along with the system info) that would be great! I've created a link to allow you to upload it to our internal Dropbox account which will keep the files off the forum:
https://www.dropbox.com/request/MNbMLq3pNTeck6vvyf3g

Also what model and driver version is the Laser Cutter you are using?

Thanks,

Hi Sean,

Thank you for your follow up. I can send the crash reports from Beta version 1.9.1.963, is that ok? Unfortunately I had to uninstall 1.9.0 and revert to 1.8.5 to keep working as we have a tight Easter deadline. I am guessing this probably removed the crach report file you would have wanted, sorry. But the Beta version was crashing just the same anyway.

Our creative biz uses a Trotec Speedy 100 with JobControl software 11.1 and 11.2 (on two different computers).  Both versions work the same in practice, it's simply that one computer has 11.1 which I usually output/print to, then transfer the .tsf files out over the network to the cutter laptop (which has 11.2) when it comes time to cut our sheets.

I will transfer the files to the dropbox linked account for you.

Regards

• Staff
7 minutes ago, Steve_N said:

Hi Sean,

Thank you for your follow up. I can send the crash reports from Beta version 1.9.1.963, is that ok? Unfortunately I had to uninstall 1.9.0 and revert to 1.8.5 to keep working as we have a tight Easter deadline. I am guessing this probably removed the crach report file you would have wanted, sorry. But the Beta version was crashing just the same anyway.

Our creative biz uses a Trotec Speedy 100 with JobControl software 11.1 and 11.2 (on two different computers).  Both versions work the same in practice, it's simply that one computer has 11.1 which I usually output/print to, then transfer the .tsf files out over the network to the cutter laptop (which has 11.2) when it comes time to cut our sheets.

I will transfer the files to the dropbox linked account for you.

Regards

That's not a problem - the later crash report will be more useful to development. Does this happen for any file you attempt to print (such as anew one with a single object) or is it specific files? If it is a specific file could you also attach that as well please?

1 hour ago, Sean P said:

Does this happen for any file you attempt to print (such as anew one with a single object) or is it specific files?

Hi Sean,

Yes, It was happening with any file, object or artboard. However, I don't remember specifically trying a new, single object print though. But did save and open many different existing files to try and print from. They were all files that never had any printing issues previously.

But you know what is now very interesting? I just tried printing from the Beta version again since completely removing the 1.9.0 and reinstalling 1.8.5, and now the Beta version seems to be printing to the laser print output without issue. How frustrating and confusing!

• Staff
10 minutes ago, Steve_N said:

Hi Sean,

Yes, It was happening with any file, object or artboard. However, I don't remember specifically trying a new, single object print though. But did save and open many different existing files to try and print from. They were all files that never had any printing issues previously.

But you know what is now very interesting? I just tried printing from the Beta version again since completely removing the 1.9.0 and reinstalling 1.8.5, and now the Beta version seems to be printing to the laser print output without issue. How frustrating and confusing!

Just a little bit! Although good news you're now able to print/cut! I've passed the crash reports on to development to take a look into. I tried to install JobControl but didn't have any luck because I (unfortunately) don't have access to a Trotec Laser Cutter. However I did manage to at least get the Print Driver portion installed, but that was ok for me when going into File > Print and I could access the Trotec settings from there as well.

9 hours ago, Sean P said:

I tried to install JobControl but didn't have any luck because I (unfortunately) don't have access to a Trotec Laser Cutter.

Unfortunate?, no I'm not so sure. After my experience with a Trotec laser and the company's arrogant 'Air of Superiority', I'm afraid I wouldn't be inclined to recommend getting one either.

Trotec are one of those company's who make things ridiculously inaccessible in attempt to bluff the customer at making the high price tag (remember it's a prestige 'subsiduary company' business model) more palatable. It has little to do with the actual price of their machine, although they will expel great effort to convince potential customers of just that; how you won't find anything in the cosmos as premium or reliable as a Trotec Laser! Really!

After 12 months of light use our Speedy 100 still needed a new $2k main drive motor. And when I say 'light use' I mean VERY light use.  Considering the sales gurus claiming the commercial workout the machines are specifically designed for. Crikey, if we were using our machine to a 'commercial level' it would have failed within 2 months! And when your MTBF (average time before repairable failure) happens WAY before they insist it ever will and you're left 2 weeks without a machine during your busiest time ever, and make you jump through unnecessary time wasting problem-solving hoops! Suddenly their superiority spruik changes to "well every machine fails, why do you expect ours to be any different". And I think, well isn't that a different tone to your pre-sales lectures!

They claim absolutely bulletproof support before they get your money, and "whenever you need them, they'll come running to your aid!". They also insist every single 'tinkering' with the machine must be handled by a 'qualified' tech. But let me tell you when push comes to shove and they couldn't be bothered sending a tech to your aid 3 hours drive to your biz in the country to replace a motor, all of a sudden they are completely happy to have the customer expected to change and align a new head-drive motor themselves!  I could have received that level of service with a machine 1/10 that price. I guess it also now makes me a 'Qualified Tech'!

Trotec actively lock customers out of 'tweaking and customising' software settings and machine functions spruiking 'warranty fear-mongering' as insurance that you don't try. The company also has numerous conflicting versions of truth depending on which 'tech' you are hearing it from. Surely they know a half-intelligent person will look under the hood, do some research and think, "why pay this much for a laser that uses the same motors/drive and pcb boards as machines one third the price"? They know that question basically leads to the realisation that your $32k's worth simply buys you a warm fuzzy 'Trotec' feeling. And a bunch of wonderfully technical sounding acronyms pasted on the laser lid to make you believe that even the word "Technology" is a wondrous selling point.

Let's face it, "Trotec" is a great tagline for boasting around influencial business buddies about your amazing, swisho 'Austrian designed' machine. However in reality it's no different to a premium chinese built laser when it comes to getting things cut and engraved ... official rant over ...

9 hours ago, Sean P said:

However I did manage to at least get the Print Driver portion installed, but that was ok for me when going into File > Print and I could access the Trotec settings from there as well.

That is good to hear for the purpose of testing, but you certainly won't get any more until they've got your boat-load of cash :)