You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

REGARDING BIG SUR: If you have updated to macOS 10.16/11 Big Sur, please note that Adjust AI, Jpeg to RAW AI, and Studio 2 have not yet been updated to facilitate Big Sur yet. We are working on the next steps for those programs. The newest versions of Mask AI, DeNoise AI, Gigapixel AI, and Sharpen AI all support Big Sur with Intel processors. Please note that legacy programs that have been previously discontinued may not function with Big Sur and updates for M1/Apple Silicon processors may take several months. Thank you.

You really don't read the posts do you.  I mentioned I was using the new beta build of Studio 2. Irrespective of that the old version worked fine in Big Sur on the apps I mentioned, there were just one or two niggles like the update mechanism.  As things stand Studio 2 (old) and the new beta are both working as expected on Lr. C1, Ps and ON1 and they all include fully functional Looks. So my comment stands - it must be down to the plugin mechanism.

If you are using a beta build (whether Topaz or Serif) you are warned not to rely on them for critical work. The betas are made available so the users can discover bugs, such as you are finding.

John

Windows 10, Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Designer 1.10.5 and Publisher 1.10.5 (mainly Photo), now ex-Adobe CC

CPU: AMD A6-3670. RAM: 16 GB DDR3 @ 666MHz, Graphics: 2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GT 630

Do you people read the posts?  It is only a bug when used with Affinity (be that using the beta Topaz Studio or the released version). It does not exist when using the other apps I mentioned. And I am no amateur so I do not need a lecture on the risks associated with betas. Your patronising approach is unwelcome and for what it is worth I seem to recall this problem existing pre Big Sur. Indeed I just found a reference to the problem back in Sept 2020.

Topaz and Affinity Photo

Please note, that although you can use some of our software in Serif Affinity Photo, it is not 100% supported by Topaz Labs. You may need to contact Serif Affinity Photo support for more assistance. 

Because Topaz doesn't support Affinity Photo 100% you can only expect sub par compatibility. Hopefully Topaz support for Affinity Photo will reach 100% in the not too distant future.

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

That is the first response that makes any sense and agreed. But it is still points a finger at the implementation of Affinity's plugin architecture. My understanding is that  it is supposed to be compatible with Ps plugins. Clearly this is not the case then!

1 hour ago, ColinG said:

That is the first response that makes any sense and agreed. But it is still points a finger at the implementation of Affinity's plugin architecture. My understanding is that  it is supposed to be compatible with Ps plugins. Clearly this is not the case then!

I think that you will find that Serif plugin architecture complies with Adobe's published plugin interface. Some software makers seem to be able to exploit unpublished ways to connect a plugin, which means their plugins will work with PhotoShop, but not with Affinity.

John

Windows 10, Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Designer 1.10.5 and Publisher 1.10.5 (mainly Photo), now ex-Adobe CC

CPU: AMD A6-3670. RAM: 16 GB DDR3 @ 666MHz, Graphics: 2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GT 630

Most, if not all apps that try to create an interface for PS plugins have varying degrees of success and creating the interface is probably akin to dark arts, Gimp is a prime example.

The caveat is, they were, first and foremost, created for PS, so any success in getting a plugin to work is cause for celebration. Yes, it's frustrating when they don't work or they don't function as expected but I think Affinity are limited to a degree and until plugin creators start to look at Affinity Photo as a serious consideration and accommodate it, there is always going to be some incompatibility.

There are plugin devs that are actively focused on getting their plugins to work such as FilterForge. There are plugins that seem to work without too much bother, such as JixiPix , ON1 Effects 2021, ON1 Portraiture Ai 2021, DXO Nik Collection, and Corel's ParticleShop.

Imagenomics RealGrain and Noiseware work well but their Portraiture Ai app renders the imported image as a broken square grid, although when a preset is used it will render that preset correctly back in Affinity Photo, see screegrab example below of imagenomics corruption of the image in the plugin interface.

image.png.363bcbd733353dea0c7fcbef9656083a.png

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions