You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

I set up a new document (say) A4, units inches, margin 0.5in single page, and I set this as a user preset.

If I now go to A4 to set up another preset, I again have to set measurements to inches, and margin to 0.5 etc etc

There seem to be nowhere for me to store my publisher wide preferences, namely inches, margins etc.

Why is this?

The built-in A4 presets include a unit setting of "millimetres".

If you pick an A4 preset, change unit to "inches" and then save a new preset, that (correctly) has no effect on the original A4 preset, and the "inches" choice is stored in the new preset.

The app preferences will always be changed to those contained in a document preset when the preset is clicked. That's one of the reasons for presets to exist.

1 hour ago, E9B6 said:

If I now go to A4 to set up another preset, I again have to set measurements to inches, and margin to 0.5 etc etc

Why did you go to A4, rather than going to the Preset you already made?

Also, if you want to work in inches, why are you using the standard Eurpoean Presets that are in mm, rather than the US-based Presets that are already in inches?

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Because all paper in the UK uses euro sizes, but I was brought up in inches and cannot work with millimeters, so ideally I would like to set program wide units, like I used to in PagePlus.

Also I need a number of different A4 and A5 set ups, and whilst I can use presets, it is very annoying to have to change the units on each preset I create

41 minutes ago, E9B6 said:

whilst I can use presets, it is very annoying to have to change the units on each preset I create

As Walt said:

22 hours ago, walt.farrell said:

Why did you go to A4, rather than going to the Preset you already made?

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

4 hours ago, E9B6 said:

because I needed to set up several presets, and it is annoying to have to enter all the same information on each one

Right. So, start with A4, and make some changes, and save it as, say, X1.

Then, rather than starting with A4 for the next one, start with X1, which already has the basic set of changes. Modify X1, and save it as X2.

Then either modify X2 to get X3, or modify X1 to get X3. Don't go back to A4, because if you do that you have to reenter all the changes.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1