You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Curves adjustment point snapping

On the curves adjustment I am not able to perform fine movements of the points I am adding.

If you add a point and try to move it then it will stay in the same position until the mouse pointer is a few pixels away from the original position that I placed the point.

After this you will not be able to move the point to within a few pixels of the placement position. It will snap and skip over it.

It prevents fine control of the curves, or at least makes it more difficult.

Am I missing a setting or something?

I believe 1.9 can accept numerical entries but I'm staying away until it's been fixed

in 1.8, only one of the nodes on the curve can be active so if you select it, it will lose its fill then the position can be adjusted with the arrow keys

CurveNodes.png

Microsoft Windows 11 Home, Intel i7-1360P 2.20 GHz, 32 GB RAM, 1TB SSD, Intel Iris Xe
Affinity Photo - 24/05/20, Affinity Publisher - 06/12/20, KTM Superduke - 27/09/10

Hello @Scott Williams,

I can confirm the "snapping" behaviour when adjusting the curve around the original point position in the 1.9 production release (it's also in current beta 1.9.1.963) and I can see how it makes life awkward when trying for fine control.  The only alleviating thing is that 1.9 now accepts numerical (x,y) inputs (bottom left on the curves dialog) and this does allow for precise positioning.  It ought to be fixed but I guess Affinity have got bigger headaches at the moment

This needs fixing. The curves tool is THE most important and useful tool available.

Also when you pick a curve point using the picker on the image it doesn't place the picked point on the curve until you move your mouse a few pixels. This is not exactly broken but it does look shoddy. The point should appear as soon as you select the point on your image.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Staff

Hi @Scott Williams,
Sorry the delay getting back to you. We've been quite busy lately due to the amount of new posts/support tickets generated by the latest releases and the 90 day free trial offer.
Version 1.9 already lets you change the values numerically and you can also move nodes using the cursor keys which should help with minor adjustments. Regarding using the colour picker to place a point/node it is indeed a bit shoddy/imprecise. I'm logging this to be looked at. Thank you for your feedback.

Thanks for getting back to me. As a software developer for over 35 years I realise what you have to go through 😀

I hope you manage to fix these little problems soon as though they are small it is these types of things that make a product feel shoddy.

Affinity Photo is not shoddy of course. It is a superb product. I have total respect for what the team have accomplished. 

Cheers. Scott.

• 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...
I have the exact same problem as Scott, but only on one machine. 
At work I have an installation that runs well and where the curves can be set precisely. 
Likewise on my old Acernotebook from 2012. 
Where it doesn't work, is my HP-All in One PC. I tried everything that came to mind and what is described, drivers, firewall etc. 
I switched off the support of the GPU. 
The jerking is independent of all efforts and settings. 
Could it be the graphics card? INTEL I5 6400 T 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD Crucial 500MX NVDIA GeForce 930A. Windows 10 Home 21H2. 
I know the hardware is not great, but the software runs without problems on a poorly equipped computer.