You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Node tool Issue affecting all versions since v1.8.3

Mitch R

Hello, I wanted to reiterate an issue with the node tool in the vector persona that I've noticed in Affinity Designer in versions 1.8.4 - 1.9.0 on a Windows 10 PC.

This issue was reported before for v1.8.4 in this forum post: Node Tool - double click issues - Pre 1.9 Designer Bugs found on Windows - Affinity | Forum (serif.com), but I just wanted to make a note to say that it still exists in later versions as well.

The issue occurs in every document when trying to use the node tool to select nodes. A node can be selected as normal, but when you try to drag or  adjust the node, the click doesn't register, thus deselecting the node. Every so often, dragging does actually work, but this seems to be random. The issue gets worse the closer you zoom in, and sometimes makes the entire program lag a bit as well.

This should be reproduceable on every version after 1.8.3 in both new and old documents. There isn't really anything that can be captured in a screenshot for this bug.

Before this bug appeared you could simply select a node and move/adjust it all in one movement.

I have tested every version of Designer, but I have to keep reinstalling version 1.8.3 because it is the most recent release that does not have this bug. This causes a different problem because I can't open documents from coworkers who are using the newer versions.

Thanks for reading,

- Mitch

System Information:

Bug occurs on Affinity Designer 1.8.4, 1.8.5,  and 1.9.0

Most recent version without bug: Affinity Designer version 1.8.3.641

Windows 10

Processor: AMD Ryzen 7 1700x

GPU: AMD Radeon Vega FE

16GB RAM

OS: Windows 10 | CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X | GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6700 XT | RAM: 64GB

• 3 weeks later...

I've been trying each new version too and the issue still exists as of 1.9.2 beta.

What I don't understand is how barely anyone seems to have noticed or been affected by this. This one bug immediately makes the program almost completely unusable for me. Do other people just not click to add and immediately try and move nodes? Or is it some sort of software conflict only affecting a few people?

I totally agree this is annoying and should be fixed. How annoying you find this may depend on the particular use case and how often you encounter it. After years of reporting bugs in design programs to software companies, seeing some getting fixed and others not, I just don't care about reporting any more. I'd rather lose 200 x 0,5 seconds a day encountering a minor bug, than writing, documenting and following up bug reports for hours, when there is not even a guarantee to get it fixed. Hope this helps you see one possible explanation why this is not more widely mentioned.

• 4 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I found something new recently relating to this bug. I am in uni and had to get an M1 Macbook Air for classes, and I noticed that the bug does not occur on MacOS, meaning this is a Windows-only issue. In other words, the bug occurs on my Windows 10 PC, but not on my M1 Macbook Air. Both are using the latest version of Affinity Designer.

OS: Windows 10 | CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X | GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6700 XT | RAM: 64GB