You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Designer vector fill patterns? Also custom vector brushes?

Hey everyone, 

I was curious I had seen some tutorials showing how to create a custom brush from raster shapes and also a pattern fill of raster shapes.

Is there a way to create fill based on vector shapes? Is there a way to create custom brushes with vector shapes also?

Thanks so much

Ethan

Welcome to the forums @Ethan U

The brushes in the Affinity applications are all raster at the moment so you can’t make ‘proper’ vector brushes.

As for a “fill based on vector shapes”, that’s possible, but the best techniques will depend upon what “shapes” you have and what you want to “fill” with them.
If you can give us an example of the vector shapes you have and the shape you want to fill with them then someone can probably give you some ideas.

• 4 months later...

Hi Garry,

I have an example that may serve as a model to explain the technique. I want to create a diffuser lens for a desk lamp. I will be using a CO2 laser to etch the pattern on clear acrylic sheet. I have attached a file that shows a simple version of the type of thing I want to be able to create in Affinity Designer. I used Fusion360/Inkscape to create this but would like to have more flexibility with other vector based designs created using AD to create laser ready SVG files rather than F360 + SVG macro + Inkscape I have to use now.

I look forward to learning how this can be done.  

Maurice

Ōhope, New Zealand.

diffuser-2.svg

@Mjmnz Some of the strokes in that SVG are too large, it imports into Affinity Designer like this...

image.png.480789f0ce01b3ef8147400c3f89a94e.png

After editing the strokes and making them smaller

image.png.2cc27be7961e3fb88d5884bdddd6f1c8.png

Thist sort of pattern will be easy to create using Power Duplicate.

https://affinity.help/designer/English.lproj/pages/ObjectControl/duplicate.html

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

Thanks for the quick response. I’m familiar with the Power Duplicator and have used it to create interesting patterns like Fibonacci progressions - so yes I can see I could have used it to create the pattern although I suspect it may be simpler to use the pattern generator in Fusion360. My bad, obviously my example was not a good candidate for the vector fill pattern of the original question. I’m aware vector fill patterns can be created in Illustrator but I’d prefer to use Affinity Designer/Photo as I have these across all my devices and I don’t have an Illustrator subscription. 

On the stroke size issue - noted. The file opens fine in Inkscape so I assume there’s an issue with the svg scaling interpreter in Designer. I frequently have problems with scaling between Designer svg export scaling when opening with Inkscape - I always set my units to millimetres. 

thanks again for the response - I still have much to learn with Designer. 

2 hours ago, Mjmnz said:

I’m familiar with the Power Duplicator and have used it to create interesting patterns like Fibonacci progressions - so yes I can see I could have used it to create the pattern although I suspect it may be simpler to use the pattern generator in Fusion360. My bad, obviously my example was not a good candidate for the vector fill pattern of the original question. I’m aware vector fill patterns can be created in Illustrator but I’d prefer to use Affinity Designer/Photo as I have these across all my devices and I don’t have an Illustrator subscription. 

You might try @GarryP's tool as an adjunct to Designer/Photo:

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

8 hours ago, Mjmnz said:

The file opens fine in Inkscape so I assume there’s an issue with the svg scaling interpreter in Designer.

FWIW, if I open the file in Inkscape on my Mac, it is so sluggish it is almost unusable, but from what I can tell many of the diffuser strokes appear to be quite large, in the 10-20 mm range.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7