You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

How to trace a drawing using Inkscape and then import into Designer.

I notice that designer doesnt yet have an image trace feature.
I use this feature a lot for laser type work. Programs like Inkscape and Lightburn do this well.

Im trying to migrate across to Designer but find this feature missing a little frustrating and raises an eyebrow that free software can do this quite well.

My work around is to import an amage into Inkscape use the trace image tool and then export it into SVG that Designer can then import.
 Since Inkscape is open source, I wonder if the Affinity writers mightbe able to look at that code for some pointers.

Other than a few missing features, I really like and appreciate Affinity products.

Keep up the good work.

Image trace isn't a repetitive operation. As such is isn't a huge disadvantage having it stand alone. I think it was on Serif's roadmap, when they had one. But there are plenty of other things there that they might consider more pressing than adding complex functionality that is already quite straight forward to do in several other ways. If it was me I wouldn't rush this out, but would be looking to add some value that isn't just directed at making workflow a little more convenient.         

On 2/20/2021 at 12:12 AM, ynneBBenny said:

Since Inkscape is open source, I wonder if the Affinity writers mightbe able to look at that code for some pointers.

The Inkscape code stems mostly from Potrace, which in turn (as Inkscape too) is GPL licensed, thus the tracing code and algorithms behind these are not directly (re)usable for a commercial product.

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2