You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Space after a headline is too high - and I cannot figure out why

Hi,

I've got a "Headline" text style with "Space before" set to 20pt and "Space after" set to 0 and the "Next style" set to "Copy".

The "Copy" text style is forced to 0pt "Space before".

When I write the headline and press enter for a new paragraph, it switches - as expected - to the "Copy" text style.

Yet the space beween my headline and the following paragraph is high.

What could cause such a space? There seems to be something fundamental about paragraph spacing or text style inheritance that I'm missing.

Hi Joachim and thank you for the warm welcome.

Let me reduce the document to its core problem (there quite a bit of copyrighted graphics in there) and get one uploaded.

I have checked the baseline grid and as far as I can tell, the grid is "open" enought that it should fit underneath.

One minute, will upload a doc in a second.

43 minutes ago, sunbeam60 said:

One minute, will upload a doc in a second.

Perhaps I unadvertently inhaled SloMo, but the second has gone ... 🤔

------
Windows 10 | i5-8500 CPU | Intel UHD 630 Graphics | 32 GB RAM | Latest Retail and Beta versions of complete Affinity range installed

Ok, simple error - btw made this too when I started with APu. Select your text starting with "This paragraph ..." and then have a closer look at the Character panel. There is a leading override set which makes no sense for what you want. Set this to "Auto" in your Text Style "Copy" (as well as for Headline - One) and you are good to go.

One last question: Why did you lift the baseline for all your text with 3pt? Personally I use lifting the baseline in rare cases and not for such basic text styles.

Edited by Joachim_L

------
Windows 10 | i5-8500 CPU | Intel UHD 630 Graphics | 32 GB RAM | Latest Retail and Beta versions of complete Affinity range installed

Amazing! Thank you so much Joachim!

I inherited the doc from an InDesign doc that was imported - so the choice wasn't actively made by me, but by previous author. I think the purpose of lifting the heading, at least, is to introduce a slightly less "aligned", slightly more "wild" look to the document, but why the Copy style was set to override the baseline grid I cannot explain, as the override is uniform.

I think what I need to do is reconstruct the document from scratch and then know, and feel comfortable, about each choice made, rather than navigating my way through it.

Once again, thank you so much for the rapid response. Haven't been a Affinity user for long, but I am slightly developing a crush on Publisher, Photo and Designer right now :) A super helpful community is obviously a key part of it, so thank you again for the warm welcome and help.

2 hours ago, sunbeam60 said:

I think what I need to do is reconstruct the document from scratch and then know, and feel comfortable, about each choice made, rather than navigating my way through it.

Yes, it may seem to be more work but it will be quicker and easier in the mid and long term.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.