You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Publisher 1.9.0: Over-enthusiastic at auto update of placed media

mattspace

Hi,

Not sure if this is a bug, or just a problematic implementation.

The situation - I have a 230page+ document, every page is a separate placed pdf file. Those pdfs are produced in a different application. I want to make a univeral update, that requires replacing every pdf from the other application. So, in the other application, I run the script that saves out every page as separate files - it overwrites the old pages.

Publisher seems to be over-enthusiastic as watching for changes for files, and comes up with a modal error for every file, as "unsupported file types", I suspect because it's attempting to read them before the other app has finished writing them.

not_supported.png.ec9a68e74ac4f1a2f320ebd74ac0746f.png

As well, it puts up a notification for every changed file:

notifications.png.d22892c3f33b79cbdcf5407fe59ec339.png

I ended up having to force-quit the application to get out of this.

For a single page update, it will throw up this unsupported file type error approximately 3 times in succession once the new file is written out in the other application.

• 4 months later...
12 minutes ago, Pauls said:

I cant replicate the multiple toast messages in our newer releases

I can still get multiples in 1.10.0.1098 on Windows, Paul. However, when doing a bulk replacement of 5 files I only got 2 toast messages:

image.png.45a5af8680488da89865c79999d020f4.png

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1