You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Photo Windows Customer Beta - 1.9.1.963

Click here to download the latest beta

Purpose: Fixes
Requirements: A valid product key (for Affinity Store purchases), or an installation of the full retail version from the Microsoft Store

As this is a beta it is considered to be not suitable for production use. This means that you should not attempt to use it for commercial purposes or for any other activity that may be adversely affected by the application failing, including the total loss of any documents. We hope you enjoy the latest build, and as always, if you've got any problems, please don't hesitate to post a new thread in this forum and we'll get back to you as soon as we can. Thanks once again for your continued feedback. 

If you have a general question about the software, please head over to the Questions Forum, or if you have any suggestions, please head over to the Feature Requests forum.

Changes

• Fixed crash at startup due to broken OpenCL drivers
  • Disabled hardware acceleration for AMD Radeon RX 5000 series and later cards (awaiting response to bug filed with AMD)
  • Fixed asset dragging performance for some assets
  • Updated image metadata parsing
  • Updated lens data
  • Fixed hardware acceleration performance for Remove Lens Vignette (Develop Persona), Shear Filter, Liquify Turbulence Tool, Haze Removal Filter and Panorama
  • Fixed some documents failing to load (hanging)
  • Improved content syncing
  • Added .fts extension support
  • Improved Astrophotography to detect bad pixels before inspecting light frames 
  • Improved Astrophotography to use the bad pixel map, if any, when loading images for alignment 

Previous release notes

two bugs from 1.9.0 and 1.9.1.953 still unsolved in 1.9.1.963

Mac mini M1 A2348 | Windows 10 - AMD Ryzen 9 5900x - 32 GB RAM - Nvidia GTX 1080

LG34WK950U-W, calibrated to DCI-P3 with LG Calibration Studio / Spider 5

iPad Air Gen 5 (2022) A2589

Special interest into procedural texture filter, edit alpha channel, RGB/16 and RGB/32 color formats, stacking, finding root causes for misbehaving files, finding creative solutions for unsolvable tasks, finding bugs in Apps.

I have the AMD 5500XT GPU and not experiencing any significant performance issues. In fact i believe it runs faster but it is hard to measure 1 to 2 second differences. So are you permanently disabling the hardware acceleration for the amd 5000 series in this beta or just at the default settings and can be turned on after launch. If you are permanently disabling it i would hope you have this resolved before the next release as I am on the Microsoft store and it will force an update without the possibility of enabling it. I would think that so many issues with hardware acceleration exists with all platforms that your default should be off and allow users to turn it on at their will if they want while you are working the issues with amd.

This build is really unstable for me. Nearly immediately crashed first time I opened it and second time it crashed shortly after opening a document. Just now the program crashed once again after just grabbing my tablet pen and moving the cursor around without even touching the canvas or any buttons.

• Staff
8 hours ago, NotMyFault said:

two bugs from 1.9.0 and 1.9.1.953 still unsolved in 1.9.1.963....

and 

6 hours ago, aji said:

Problems still exist in version 1.9.1.963...

Please be assured that release build 1.9.1 is not likely to be the last 1.9.x release. However our customers are absolutely desperate for some of the important fixes that it already contains. Most users do not know about the beta forums or beta builds and are struggling to use 1.9.0, so we absolutely must roll 1.9.1 out very soon without holding it up. We will check for major regressions over 1.9.0 but those would be the only reason I can suggest for not releasing 1.9.1 very soon

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

8 hours ago, phil_k said:

I have the AMD 5500XT GPU and not experiencing any significant performance issues. In fact i believe it runs faster but it is hard to measure 1 to 2 second differences. So are you permanently disabling the hardware acceleration for the amd 5000 series in this beta or just at the default settings and can be turned on after launch. If you are permanently disabling it i would hope you have this resolved before the next release as I am on the Microsoft store and it will force an update without the possibility of enabling it. I would think that so many issues with hardware acceleration exists with all platforms that your default should be off and allow users to turn it on at their will if they want while you are working the issues with amd.

I have the 5700 XT here, and it is taking 10X longer to initialise OpenCL kernels in comparison to equivalent hardware from NVIDIA. This is causing huge delays when opening files, moving sliders, etc. 

I have reported the issue to AMD, and I’m awaiting a response. This won’t be a permanent solution, but is intended to solve the huge amounts of reports that we have from Radeon RX owners. 

Related to the hardware acceleration (OpenCL & GPUs) theme, see also this thread here where the OP told that he has a Nvidia GTX1080 GPU and according to him also the latest drivers installed ...

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

Hello,

it seems my images are not getting processed correctly. There are strange dark blocks appearing on my images.

This is with both the latest public release version and with the latest beta and very intermittent.

Attached is the crop of one of the image it appears on. The image looked fine before going into develop persona. As soon as I clicked develop these block appeared. The exported jpeg also has these.

DSC_0379.jpg

7 hours ago, Kshitij Sharma said:

Hello,

it seems my images are not getting processed correctly. There are strange dark blocks appearing on my images.

This is with both the latest public release version and with the latest beta and very intermittent.

Attached is the crop of one of the image it appears on. The image looked fine before going into develop persona. As soon as I clicked develop these block appeared. The exported jpeg also has these.

Does it happen every time with the same image? Could you attach the image to this post so we can try it?