You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Photo as External Editor in Photo app in El Capitan

• 2 months later...

With the new updates there has been extensions added to Photos, but is it possible (or will it be possible) to use Affinity as more of an external editor - so that this really can compete with Loghtroom etc. in conjunction with Photos for file management..?

That's entirely up to Apple - the limitation is with Photos. At the moment no app developer can add that function to Photos.

Affinity has already announced their own digital asset management software but since affinity publisher is delayed to late 2016, the DAM will most likely be at least one year in the future...

But the build in media browser will probably get some more options earlier ..

• 3 weeks later...

As a Mac user who switched to Aperture after becoming frustrated with the non-intuitive operation of LR, I now use Aperture for my file organization & storage but Affinity Photo for all of my editing.  Aperture also has a feature that allows you to select Affinity Photo as an external editor by going to Preferences & selecting the Export tab; under that you press the Choose button to select the External Photo Editor & pick Affinity Photo.  For the External File Format you can select Tiff (8 or 16 bits as you prefer).

Then when you want to edit an image from those stored in Aperture, you right-click on the image & select Edit with Affinity Photo App.  Affinity Photo will start with the image loaded & ready to be edited.  Then to return the edited image to Aperture for storage, select File > Save - a dialog will appear saying the image contains non-pixel elements - Select Save Flattened to flatten the image before sending it to Aperture.  That's it; the edited image will appear in Aperture alongside the original.

Hopefully Affinity will eventually have its own storage & organization of images so it will no longer be necessary to involve Aperture in this DAM function.  But for now at least, I find this to be a very easy & straightforward way to use Aperture with Photo.

• 4 months later...

Jedorme, I still work in Aperture. I have set up Affinity Photo as my photo editor. When i work on a photo in Affinity i select save and then save flattened image and the image is saved next to the original image in Aperture.

But this is the thing,  it is always saved as a Tiff file. What i'd like to know is how do i export an image  straight into Aperture but as a JPEG file. I apologise if this is really basic stuff but i can't appear to work it out.