You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Photo as External Editor in Photo app in El Capitan

Hi  I have bought Affinity 1.3.5 from the App Store but can't get it to be used in photos as an extension.  

Downloaded the new beta version Leigh mentioned and it shows up as a possible extension - Do I have to use the Beta or can I get my original App purchase to work?

• Staff

Hi steverob,

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

Currently the Photo's extension only works with the Beta, but you have to keep the Mac App Store version installed to be able to run it (the beta).

This feature (Affinity Retouching Photo Extension) will be integrated in the next Mac App Store update.

Hi steverob,

Currently the Photo's extension only works with the Beta, but you have to keep the Mac App Store version installed to be able to run it (the beta).

This feature (Affinity Retouching Photo Extension) will be integrated in the next Mac App Store update.

Hi, ok I will wait for the update and hopefully soon. Thanks for all the replies.

The Photos Extension functionality is really neat! I just hope Apple Photos' DAM functionality grows up to approach Aperture's. But great job on the Extension, totally rocks!

If you install the latest beta of Affinity Photo from here, you'll be able to follow Paul's instructions to enable the Affinity Retouching Extension in Photos :)

Hi steverob,

2021 16” Macbook Pro w/ M1 Max 10c cpu /24c gpu, 32 GB RAM, 1TB SSD, Ventura 13.6

2018 11" iPad Pro w/ A12X cpu/gpu, 256 GB, iPadOS 17

Got the extension working in Photos as well but it seems to offer a very limited set of features mainly using selections for retouching.  Is another extension in the works to offer more comprehensive tooling?  

Also, does Photos allow the edit history to be saved when you save back into Photos so that you can go back and selectively undo, or at least see what change you've made to a photo in the extension?  None of the extensions seem to do that right now, making it a one way path.

I think a "I want it all" mentality doesn’t help any futher, Fujisti. Of course, we all have wishes ond demands for such an extension. But "Apple Photos" isn’t Affinity Photo" and doesn’t aim into a semi professional direction.

Instead of dreaming of new features the Affinity team at first should have a close look at the existing set of features and make them stable and useable.

I have tested the extension and it seemed to work OK. But I noticed that it apparently saves a jpeg back to Photos rather than a tiff. Does anyone know if this is a limitation in Photos or the choice of the Affinity Photo developer?

I have tested the extension and it seemed to work OK. But I noticed that it apparently saves a jpeg back to Photos rather than a tiff. Does anyone know if this is a limitation in Photos or the choice of the Affinity Photo developer?

I thinks this have to do with Apple Photos. I tested with one of Macphun's extension. And it was also saved as a jpg.

-- Magnus 

• Staff

Welcome to the forums Andy40 :)

MEB mentions the following in a earlier post:

• 3 weeks later...
  • Staff

Hi laminar,

Currently only the Beta includes the Affinity Retouching extension (it's still in development) but you need to have the full Mac App Store version installed to be able to run it.

The extension will be available in the next Mac App Store update and in the trial later.