You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Designer guides disappear when adding a new guide

At some point when adding a new guide, all the guides disappear. I tried to "Show Guides" (Ctrl+;) again, but no success. You can see the guides on the ruler area, but not on the work area. Had to close the application and open it again to make it work. Very annoying! I don't remember having this problem before last update.

Running Affinity Designer version 1.9.0.932

Windows 10 Pro v.10.0.19042 Build 19042

• Staff

Hi Silvio Nunes,

Has this only happened once for you? Or have you been able to reproduce it at all? I've not been able to reproduce this myself. If you are able to reproduce it can you get any screen recordings that show the steps you're taking please?

Similar

I have also seen weird guide behaviour when...

Switching back and forth between Edit in Designer and Edit in Publisher and using a transparent background and toggling Preview Mode on/off (in Publisher)

Don't have a Recipe at the moment, but have to restart the app to get the guides to behave 

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

Go with the cursor the the guide to add another click, the rulers are showing. After going to the document makes the guidelines disappear. The workaround is to click on another tool, then click back on the ruler to add a guideline. Now all works fine. I had send in this bug about 3 weeks ago. Pitty not solved.

• 1 month later...
On 2/23/2021 at 4:48 PM, Sean P said:

Hi Silvio Nunes,

Has this only happened once for you? Or have you been able to reproduce it at all? I've not been able to reproduce this myself. If you are able to reproduce it can you get any screen recordings that show the steps you're taking please?

hello,

had the exact same issue as @Silvio Nunes just minutes ago. closed designer and opened it back up to try and reproduce it... with no luck.
now everything seems to work fine again. ... and I didnt screen record either.

i noticed that, when Guides are hidden and you place a new guide by draging and dropping from the ruler, all guides are shown again. which I guess is a feature. possibly the bug accours, because it is not programmed to show the guides, but to toggle the visibility? therefore, in some weird occasions Designer gets to a state where it hides all rulers once a new guide is placed by drag and drop, because it changes the state of the visibility and missed a beat at some point?

just a wild guess. hope it makes sense. 😁

edit: Windows 10 with Designer 1.9.2.1035

• 5 months later...

Platform: MacOS 10.15.7, Publisher v1.10.1.
The disappearing guides problem is driving me nuts. It seems to happen after the app has been closed for a few hours. Launch again and open same file I was working on before with guides toggled ON. No guides showing. Tried toggling ON/OFF/ON - no change, no guides. Then after a bit more futzing, guides reappeared in master pages, but are not visible in document pages. I've tried locking/unlocking guides - no change. I tried placing a new guide on document and master page, I see the guide on the master page, but not on the document page. What's going on???? 

Additional note: 
With guide visibility restored (can't replicate) on master pages, on one document page 3 out of 9 or 10 reappeared. But when I mouse over them on the document page, they disappeared again.

Edited by AnneP
Additional information.