You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

New document default units are incorrect/mixed

I've noticed over the past couple of days (Designer v1.9) new document units are often defaulting to millimetres even when the document template isn't print and other units are already defined (such as px or pt) in the page width, height, margins, etc settings. My expectation would be that non-print related documents would default to either px or pts for units, and that defining page dimensions via one unit (ie: px) would result in the other values changing to reflect those units.

image.thumb.png.2b4c5a2696befa9a9566913460f3caae.png

That dialog is showing that you've made some kind of change to the default settings. If you were using the WXGA settings the top of the dialog would show image.png.9297bd373fd9ef92ef6cca4b09d00eea.png instead of image.png.bc4bce723f7b6ebc2d96a61bf1418c85.png, so my guess is that you made that units change manually at some point, and Designer is simply remembering it until you choose a different Preset.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Huh, I never work in millimetres so I'm not sure how I would have managed that. I've been having to keep switching it to pixels. I guess I just happen to work in a way that falls out of the intended design. I seem to have it on pixels now, hopefully it stays. Thanks!

You're welcome.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

• Staff

Hi Bryan Rieger,

There is actually a known issue that the New Document dialog is always showing the units as millimetres on startup, despite the actual selection being different. This is likely what you're seeing. If you change a Preset you should find that the units are correct (until you restart the app, when the last document you used wasn't created in millimetres).

@Bryan Rieger & @walt.farrell I've had pretty much that same issue.  Most any time I go into the create new document I use Letter size, then I'll adjust the size later for my final size and shape.  But when I open New Document just about, if not always, it's showing mm as the default units.  And as you see the top is showing it's not custom.  If I click on the letter size icon then the units change to inches.  But when I exit AD and reenter the default will be as shown below which makes no sense.  But then if I just click Create I get a document that is using inches as the units, not the mm it says.  Go figure...!  So there is a bug there.

Original display                                              After clicking Letter icon                                Document made using either of these settings

746961046_ScreenShot2021-02-18at7_25_36AM.png.6662ed9b0d973b565efecfa74af5399b.png  810837698_ScreenShot2021-02-18at7_40_21AM.png.76f6c5cefdbafb73aeb233b3d13ae9a9.png   1791755033_ScreenShot2021-02-18at7_36_02AM.png.a5ea6eb15b9023f859874f761f20ad98.png

iMac (27-inch, Late 2009) with macOS Sierra

3 minutes ago, Sean P said:

Hi Bryan Rieger,

There is actually a known issue that the New Document dialog is always showing the units as millimetres on startup, despite the actual selection being different. This is likely what you're seeing. If you change a Preset you should find that the units are correct (until you restart the app, when the last document you used wasn't created in millimetres).

Aha, so I wasn't loosing my mind! :) Thanks @SeanP and  @Gear maker !

• Staff
7 minutes ago, Gear maker said:

Sean's answer came in as I was typing.  Sorry I added to this.

That's not a problem, as Patrick says below your input is very much appreciated! Especially when it comes to the betas! Unfortunately being this side of the pond with the metric system made this issue a lot harder for us to spot! 😔

• Staff
5 minutes ago, Gear maker said:

Sean's answer came in as I was typing.  Sorry I added to this.

Gearmaker, don't be so hard on yourself. Your presence on these forums is very much appreciated

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

@Patrick Connor Thank you very much.  I just try to not add something that's not needed.  And once one of you guys have said it's a known, unless I have new info that you might not know I refrain from responding.  We appreciate all the hard work you guys are doing on this product.

iMac (27-inch, Late 2009) with macOS Sierra