You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity photo crashes when trying to do an HDR merge

Aviv Laor

• Staff

Hey Aviv Laor, welcome to the Affinity Forums.

I am unable to reproduce this. What settings do you have in the HDR dialog?

Can you confirm which graphics card you have installed and whether you have Capture One installed? Finally, do you have OpenCL enabled in Preferences > Performance?

Hi Chris,

I kept the tone map only.  I do not know what graphics card I have (I use a Lenovo x1 extreme).  However, I was succesfully  doing merges up to 2 days ago.  I have Capture one, but it is a dedicated Fujifilm Capture one.  These are Canon 6D Raw files. I am very new to post processing, so i'm not sure how to check for the OpenCl.  One more thing, I just discovered is that Affinity has no issues doing an HDR merge with the Raw Fujifilm files. Hope this helps.

Same to me. I have tried with CR3, TIFF (16bit) and JPEG (8bit). Application instantly close when I press OK button in merge menu. Windows 10 PRO,  Affinity Photo 1.9.0.932, Nvidia GTX 750Ti.

I found that if I change renderer to WARP it helps.

Edited by Kajetan M

The latest released software has some issues with opencl and gpu. From scanning the forums they are working hard to tackle them. I would download the latest beta software, turn off opencl found in the preferences, and see if this fixes your problems. You can then try opencl and if issues surface turn it off. GOOD LUCK. The links to beta are in the beta forum.

• Staff

Setting the renderer to WARP is a workaround but not ideal as it's slow.

The issue is with Capture One causing an Nvidia driver to crash. You can try reinstalling Capture One which some people suggest works or toggle the explorer box:

On 2/18/2021 at 1:23 PM, Aviv Laor said:

Hello,

I'm trying to do an HDR merge with the attached files.  Affinity keeps closing during the merge.  I have Windows 10 professional.

IMG_3427.CR2 19.12 MB · 1 download IMG_3428.CR2 18.95 MB · 1 download IMG_3429.CR2 19.03 MB · 1 download IMG_3430.CR2 19.23 MB · 1 download IMG_3431.CR2 19.36 MB · 1 download

Do you need specific settings to replicate the crash each time? I've tried with these images, and I can't reproduce the crash using my NVIDIA card.