You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Package document / unable to save bug

Just done my first 'Save as Package' with 1.9 beta and its corrupted the document. An example is shown in the screen recording below, but to explain: I used the Save as Package feature, collected my job and quit Publisher. When I've come to reopen the file, Publisher shows the package screen again (rather than just open the document). I have to click 'OK' to open the document. Secondly, if I now make changes to this, I'm unable to save anything.

1 hour ago, ConnectCreative said:

When I've come to reopen the file, Publisher shows the package screen again (rather than just open the document).

That's because it's not a document it's a package file, it will show you such things as if you have a font missing which is in the package but not on your system, then give you the option to install it or not, etc 

1 hour ago, ConnectCreative said:

Secondly, if I now make changes to this, I'm unable to save anything.

You can't resave the package file just by using File > Save you have to create a new document file (.afpub) by doing a File > Save As

To recreate a new (updated) package, you will need to repackage the document file again

All of this is documented in the Help file

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

I'm not sure why it works like that in both instances, it feels unintuitive after using 'other' collect for output options in different software.

If I'm collecting a document together in order to gather all images and fonts, I don't understand why that would change the nature of the files behaviour from then on. I just want to gather the images, not change how the file works. 

Not being able to just open it after and make a a quick amend and save seems bizarre?

The package is just a copy of your document and all font and images used in that document.

Usually done when you want to send it to someone else or for easy transportation to another device.

The original document is the master copy, if you could modify the package directly without modifying the original document then things would soon get out of sync.

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

• 1 month later...

For me first test of Save As Package is a disappointment, it completely freezes the Publisher. After an hour Publisher shows 0% of processor power but a large memmory consumption. Packaging info did not close after the command was done. Some files were copied where it should be. But it ends widh dead Publisher. It is not usable at all at the moment.

• 1 month later...
On 2/18/2021 at 2:15 PM, ConnectCreative said:

I'm not sure why it works like that in both instances, it feels unintuitive after using 'other' collect for output options in different software.

If I'm collecting a document together in order to gather all images and fonts, I don't understand why that would change the nature of the files behaviour from then on. I just want to gather the images, not change how the file works. 

Not being able to just open it after and make a a quick amend and save seems bizarre?

You can collect all linked images from the resource pannel without changing the file extension.

Apart, if you want to collect fonts too, then you must use "Save as package"; and later, if you want to have a .afdesign file, you only need to use "Save as".

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.