René P

[By Design] PDF import incomplete

Hello
Thank you first for all the work done on the different modules.
However, I have a problem importing PDFs. In PDF-XChange PRO 9, I create a simple red square in a new document that I save. I can then correctly open this document with for example:
Acrobat Reader DC, Photoshop Elements, LibreOfficedev, Gimp, Inkscape with Poppler Cairo import for 100% layout, but I never have my red square (neither the red color nor the square, just a blank page) with Affinity, whether the modules are in stable or beta versions. Is there an import setting that I haven't seen?
Thank you for your insight.

Red square.pdf

Hi @René P,

Welcome to the forums and sorry for the delayed reply. 

That's not actually an object, but an annotation. Illustrator/InDesign do not seem to open it either. This is the expected behaviour. 

image.png

Hello Gabe

Thanks for taking a little time to answer me.

The answer, however, leave me rather unsatisfied.

First of all, nothing has changed with the latest versions. The problem is not specific to a particular module, neither stable nor beta.
The 3 Affinity modules feature pdf support, with no apparent restriction. I do not have the Illustrator / InDesign “reference softwares” but:
-  Since the "little" Photoshop Elements (version 11 or 2020) opens it correctly, it seems to me that Affinity Photo should be able to open it 
   correctly.
-  Since Inkscape opens it correctly, Affinity Designer should be able to open it correctly.
-  Likewise, since Scribus opens it correctly too, Affinity Publisher should be able to too.
If I start to think to myself that in a PDF that I open, some elements may not appear, it bothers me, I don't care if tenors don’t do better.
The problem is not reduced to the red square. Ditto with a barcode also created with PDF-XChange PRO 9.
I add that when I open my file in Inkscape and copy the offending elements there, I can paste them onto the blank Affinity pages without any problem.
That said, that doesn't take away from the tremendous work of the developers.

Red square + Barcode.pdf

Your barcode has again, the same issue. It's created as an annotation, and not as a proper vector/raster object. The problem is your PDF creator, which does not produce PDFs correctly. 

99.9% of the time PDFs are correctly created with raster/vector data, and no annotations. 

We do not have anything in place to handle annotations, and importing them along with the rest of the raster/vector as they are would be wrong. To have annotations working inside our app, we would need a completely different panel to handle them. I doubt this will be an option anytime soon. 

The file does not load properly in Photoshop (2021) or Illustrator (2021). In Illustrator the workspace is empty and in Photoshop both objects are shown as one clipped layer.

System: AMD Ryzen 5 1600 - 16 GB DDR4 3000MHz - Sapphire RX 5600 XT 6 GB | Windows 10 Pro (21H1 Build 19043.906)

Using Photo, Designer and Publisher V1.9.2.1035

Better translations with: https://www.deepl.com/translator