You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Has anyone previewed OSX10.11 El Capitan?

Are there any issues with Designer or Photo or is it likely to be safe to upgrade the OS?

Both Affinity Photo and Designer are optimised for OS X El Capitan, so will work without any issues :)

Hi Douglas Richardson,

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

Affinity software is fully compatible with El Capitan. 

You shouldn't have any issues upgrading to the new OS.

[EDIT] Leigh is typing too fast...

Hi Douglas, 

I'm using AP & AD, including the latest Betas in El Capitan Golden Master without any issues. 

I intend to upgrade my main system to El Capitan as soon as it's released. 

Paul. 

This is a quote taken from a review written by Ars Technica:

And speaking of Mountain Lion, Apple is almost certainly going to drop extended support for that release once El Capitan is out. The company usually supports the newest version of OS X with point releases that can add larger fixes and new features while providing smaller security-focused updates to the two trailing releases. You ought to be able to get updates for Mavericks and Yosemite going forward, but Mountain Lion is done.

So if you’re using a Mac on the support list but you’re still using 10.6, 10.7, or 10.8, our recommendation becomes more forceful: update. If not now, then soon. Aside from the features you’re missing, you aren’t getting important security updates for the OS or for Safari anymore, and you may be putting yourself at risk.

I would imagine that Serif would drop support for Mountain Lion as well going forward?  

• Staff

Hi strobes,

The extension becomes available if you install the Beta as Lobu pointed out. You can get it from here (usually pinned at the top). You must keep the Mac App Store version installed to run the Beta. This will also be available in the next Mac App Store update.

I bought Affinity Photo (and Affinity Designer) through Apple App Store.  They were installed on my iMac before I upgraded to El Capitan yesterday.

When I try to use Extensions in Photos no apps are shown,  In System Preferences "Extensions" it shows "not enabled" for Photos.

How do I enable extensions for Photos?

To clarify... those of us who bought Affinity Photo and upgrade to El Capitan cannot access the extension for Photos?    I have to go back to the Affinity Photo Beta version to gain this function?  Or, I have to install the beta of El Capitan?

I just bought and installed Tonality... but what I really want is to be able to switch between Photos and Affinity Photo seamlessly.    <sigh>

Help?

• Staff

Hi aslusers,

Those who have bough Affinity Photo on the Mac App Store and are running El Capitan currently don't have access to the Affinity Retouching Photo's extension because it's still in beta (the extension) and so it's only available for those with Affinity Photo Customer Beta installed.

The extension will become available for all users after the next Affinity Photo update on the Mac App Store.

I believe what you are looking for is a "roundtrip" between Affinity Photo / Apple Photos but this is not currently possible because Apple's Photos doesn't offer support for editing in external photo editors (like Aperture for example). The extension only offers a subset of Affinity Photo functionality and so doesn't fit this purpose. 

Hi MEB: 

Thanks for your information so far. I am trying to determine whether to wait and purchase the Photos Extension or whether to go ahead and buy the whole program. Does Serif plan on releasing the extension separately for a reduced price? Or is the Apple Photos extension merely a convenient tool for those who have already purchased Affinity? 

Hi MEB: 

Thanks for your information so far. I am trying to determine whether to wait and purchase the Photos Extension or whether to go ahead and buy the whole program. Does Serif plan on releasing the extension separately for a reduced price? Or is the Apple Photos extension merely a convenient tool for those who have already purchased Affinity? 

Hi jsmacdonald, 

The Photos Extension is not a separate app for purchase. 

It is a feature that will be in the next free update to the paid version. 

If you purchase the current version from the Mac App Store, you can then install the latest Customer Beta of AP, download from here: Photo & run it along side the purchased version from the Mac App Store.  

This Beta version has the Photos extension, so you can choose Affinity Photo Beta as the external editor for Photos, see screen shots below. 

post-10932-0-72427800-1444386487_thumb.pngpost-10932-0-61715100-1444386566_thumb.png 

Hope this helps, 

Paul. 

• Staff

Hi jsmacdonald,

The extension is part of the main application. If you buy Affinity Photo, the extension becomes automatically available for Apples's Photo (after the next Mac App Store update) as Paul said.

Currently the only way to have the extension available in Apple's Photo is to install Affinity Photo Customer Beta, from the link Paul has posted above, since the Beta already includes the extension. We implement new features in the Beta first for feedback and testing purposes then integrate them in the Mac App Store (MAS) version. However only users who have bought the Mac App Store version are able to run the Beta (it checks for the presence of the MAS version on the system).

• 7 months later...

Hello,

I bought AFFINITY today and, after staying one hour online with APPLE CARE, we could not understand how to link AFFINITY to PHOTOS. When opening PHOTOS, the only extension shown is BEFUNKY which I downloaded as a trial (free APP) and I did not have to do anything as the extension appeared automatically when opening PHOTOS for the first time.
I failed to create the extension on 2 computers, meaning there is something I missed as Both computers are under OS X EI CAPTAIN...
I have tried other ways to create the link with PHOTOS but failed.
Would be great to get some help as I am eager to use AFFINITY with PHOTO.
Thanks

yapafoto,

Have you opened the Affinity Photo app (not Apple Photos) at least once since you downloaded it from the Mac App Store? Sometimes it seems to be necessary to do that before the extensions are recognized. Restarting the computer afterwards also may help.

Just to check, you did buy Affinity Photo, not Affinity Designer, right?

Also, if you have not already done so, open System Preferences > Extensions > All. You should see all your third party extensions listed by the app they came with. If you see Affinity Photos listed, make sure each of the Affinity extensions listed has a checkmark next to it. Only checked extensions will be available in Apple Photos.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

There is a video on the extensions that begins with showing the process of setting them up for use. 

Note that the extensions work within Photos. If you want to take your pictures from Apple Photos to Affinity Photo you will need to export or use something like the "External Editors for Photos" extension

David Voth

Affinity Photo, Designer and Publisher ver. 2: macOS Sonoma and iPadOS 17