You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Text Wonkiness in Designer 1.9

I'm having really strange issues when working with text. Beyond the general new 'jankiness' (performance issues) of basic text entry I'm also seeing strange behaviours when changing text related settings; setting the leading override to auto doesn't always work and it defaults to some arbitrary number, creating a new text frame/object defaults to a previous, yet uninstalled font, and I'm getting odd rendering glitches where portions of words/paragraphs are cut off and rendered off to the side/below. Not sure what's going on, but I'm finding my faith in the 1.9 release diminishing quickly.

• Staff

Hi Bryan,

What version of macOS are you using? Is this still an issue for you in the latest 1.9.1 beta? If so are you able to get some videos, screenshots and steps that illustrate the issues you're seeing? 

The Paragraph Leading Override (and Paragraph Leading itself) appears to be functioning as I would expect on a new document. If what you're seeing is limited to a document and doesn't happen in a new document are you able to share that one?

Regarding the uninstalled font it sounds like you might have saved a text frame default with that font on an older document? 

Without seeing the rendering issues you're getting with words and paragraphs cut off then I can't advise about that. However a lot of the issues do sound very document specific, so documents and videos are definitely useful here!

Thanks,

Hi Sean,

I'm running macOS Big Sur 11.2.1 on an early 2020 MBP 13" i7 32GB.

Yeah, last time I checked it was still an issue in the latest beta, but I don't use/test it much as I don't want to risk my working files in it. Whenever I'm working in 1.9 with text I keep finding more 'oddities'. Much of it seems to be related to old character and paragraph settings/fonts/etc being carried over into new elements. Also, the longer I work with text elements in Designer 1.9 (haven't tested in the other apps) the slower/more janky the app seems to get, and the more oddities start to surface (until I close the app and restart).