You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Monochrome Option in Channel Mixer

Lamont

I am used to converting color images to B&W by making a new adjustment layer for the channel mixer and by selecting monochrome. Then adjust RGB sliders to my liking. I don't see a monochrome option in Affinity Photo. Will we get this feature? Is there a workaround? How do you use the channnel mixer in Affinity Photo for B&W conversions?

I suppose Black & White Adjustment lets me do essentially the same thing, but it has not only RGB, but also yellow, magenta and cyan channels. I presume the total number of percentage should always amount to 600%?

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I miss this feature too.

The Black & White Adjustment layer does a different conversion than the monochrome channel mixer option in Photoshop (I tested it with a color chart file). All colors are converted to a very similar tone of gray.

Because of this missing option, I am a bit at a loss about how to convert to monochrome in AP. Would be grateful for any suggestion about alternatives.

• 1 year later...
  • 3 years later...
  • 8 months later...
  • 1 year later...

I have some sympathy for getting a simplified B&W adjustment using only RGB channels.

But this should be totally separate from channels mixer, which is intended for a totally different use case, and no good basis for what is requested here.

Mac mini M1 A2348 | Windows 10 - AMD Ryzen 9 5900x - 32 GB RAM - Nvidia GTX 1080

LG34WK950U-W, calibrated to DCI-P3 with LG Calibration Studio / Spider 5

iPad Air Gen 5 (2022) A2589

Special interest into procedural texture filter, edit alpha channel, RGB/16 and RGB/32 color formats, stacking, finding root causes for misbehaving files, finding creative solutions for unsolvable tasks, finding bugs in Apps.