You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Publisher quits whenever i try to save work 1.9.0

Lin D

I am really, really annoyed. I spent about 10 days working on a photo book and - lesson learnt, I know - only had one copy of the book that I kept replacing. I could kick myself but equally well I am very, very cross that it can happen. All my other files open and save but this one opens but I cannot save it as Affinity Publisher crashes each time I try

Hi @Lin D - perhaps you could rescue the situation as follows: create a new blank document; copy and paste part of the old document at a time; save new copies between each copy/paste (to be on the safe side).  Hopefully you'll end up with a new copy of the same content that doesn't cause the crash you're seeing just now.

You might even find that a particular section of text or images triggers a new crash (which is why I suggested making multiple copies as you go along), which might point to why this problem began in the first instance.

—— Gary ——

Photo/Designer/Publisher: Affinity Store, v2.4.n release

Mac mini (M1, 2020), 16GB/2TB, macOS Ventura 13.4.1(c) • MacBook Pro (Intel), macOS Ventura • Windows 10 via VMware Fusion • iOS: current release

Hi Gary, I have already made a copy, renamed it and been able to continue working on it and save it. However I would like to know if anyone else has had these problems. Is there anything that would be causing it? it has made me very nervous for other Photo Books that I am making

Hi Jon

Yesterday, I renamed the Sarah file and then it worked ok. but the newly named files are crashing today, whereas they didn't yesterday. I have sent you several screenshots from several time periods. When it crashes a file is created with zero MB and it has the Affinity logo and not the front cover. This is happening over and over again. However touch wood, it has not happened with the other books that I have created. I am now so nervous to do any work at all. Luckily the photo book "Sarah" was for my daughter's 40th today and I did manage to get it to behave enough yesterday to finalise it, export a PDF and send it to her. But I as I said, I am now so nervous about the product.

Hello everyone,

I've got the same issue. I am working on my Bachelor-Thesis with my old MacBook Air (1,4 GHz Dual-Core Intel Core i5) and the newest version of macOS Big Sur 11.2.1. Since I've updated the Publisher to 1.9, the file (100 mB) is crashing everytime I want to save it. I tried it the same way and created a new file, but still there are crashes. Also when opening the file from an external hard disk.

What can I do, should I install an older version of Publisher? Is it because of the 100mB, so I can try to fix it by deleting some big pictures?

Looking forward to hearing from you.