You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Unexpected canvas rotations

I'm using Affinity Designer 1.9, macOS 11.2.1 with a Magic Mouse and I keep running into issues where the canvas suddenly rotates while I'm drawing, moving items around, etc. I know I can disable it, but I actually like having the ability to explicitly rotate the canvas - I just don't want it to keep rotating unexpectedly. I thought it might have been the Magic Mouse causing it, but I can't seem to recreate it using just the mouse.

Aha! I figured it out. It happens when I hold down the command ⌘ key and 'scroll' the Magic Mouse up and down. I actually really like it now that I know how it works. I do wish there was an easier way to reset the rotation than going to the View > Reset Rotation menu item, or using the ⇧⌘R shortcut, or that the rotation could be temporarily constrained to set angles (0˚, 45˚ 90˚, etc) using the shift ⇧ key as an additional modifier.

• Staff
9 hours ago, Cobalt7 Imaging said:

I have been fighting this 'feature' all day. It is driving me NUTS. PLEASE give us a way to disable this, or remap it, or something. It gets triggered all the time with a magic mouse. Personally, I can't recall the last time I *intentionally* rotated the canvas. It's just not how I work. Ugh

We have - it is available in Preferences > Tools and is labelled 'Enable canvas rotation with cmd+scroll wheel' and 'Enable canvas rotation with trackpad'. Unticking these will stop the behaviour.

Hi there, new here, and I have yet a bit of answer for my question, that's really good!

My configuration: MacBook Air, MacOs BigSur last version, Affinity up to date and Magic mouse 2.

So I had this issue too, I'll will see in the preferences to disable it. And see what happens.

Also, I noticed, and report it :

• When I had this problem, it wasn't possible to undo it. I mean if you hit cmd-z, it undo other things I did, but not the rotation in itself.
  • It's annoying because, if you saved your document just after that (sometimes it happens really quickly), your document is saved with that rotation (and you can't undo it),
  • There is no way to turn back, or maybe adjust it by rotating again by hand, but it takes time to do so.
  • The only way to be back at the right version (not rotated) is to close the document, don't save it, and then re-open it.... But if you didn't saved much as this before the rotation, you loose all you did.

2 hours ago, Itzas said:

When I had this problem, it wasn't possible to undo it. I mean if you hit cmd-z, it undo other things I did, but not the rotation in itself.

That's because your rotation was not a rotation of the document, but simply a rotation of your view of the document. Only things that actually change the document content can be undone.

2 hours ago, Itzas said:

There is no way to turn back, or maybe adjust it by rotating again by hand, but it takes time to do so.

View > Reset Rotation.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

31 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

That's because your rotation was not a rotation of the document, but simply a rotation of your view of the document. Only things that actually change the document content can be undone.

View > Reset Rotation.

Hi Walt,

Thanks for your quick answer! I'll try it if necessary :)

Have a great day,

My first reaction was to want to turn it off, but got used to it pretty fast and set ⌘` shortcut to reset rotation - now love it

Daz1.png

Mac Pro Cheese-grater (Early 2009) 2.93 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon 48 GB 1333 MHz DDR3 ECC Ram, Sapphire Pulse Radeon RX 580 8GB GDDR5, Ugee 19" Graphics Tablet Monitor Triple boot via OCLP 1.2.1 - Mac OS Monterey 12.7.1, Sonoma 14.1.1 and Mojave 10.14.6

Affinity Publisher, Designer and Photo 1.10.5 - 2.2.1

www.bingercreative.co.uk

This is awful! Did you user test this? Every time I want to zoom (option + scroll) I accidentally hit the command key (command + scroll). I cannot tell you how many times I rotate the canvas by accident since these keys are right next to each other. I end up having to reset my view all the time. Worst experience ever! Fix it.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/23/2021 at 9:33 AM, Sean P said:

We have - it is available in Preferences > Tools and is labelled 'Enable canvas rotation with cmd+scroll wheel' and 'Enable canvas rotation with trackpad'. Unticking these will stop the behaviour.

Thanks for this info! Love all the new features in Affinity Designer 1.9, but this thing's been driving me nuts. I'm using macOS with Magic Mouse and the amount of accidental canvas rotations was infuriating :D Glad to know I can turn it off.

• 6 months later...

It's not turning off.  Magic Mouse.  Mojave.  MBPr15" (the last good one, with mag, function keys, and useful ports)

Scroll wheel (which magic mouse doesn't have) plus command is unchecked.  Command plug touch drag scroll on the mouse still rotates.  I feel this is magic mouse touch scroll working sending a rotate view to the app with no way for the app to know what's causing the command.  Later versions of mac (such as Mojave) have "dumbed down" the magic mouse preferences such that things like "emulate 3 buttons" and such are not there.  I'm not sure magic mouse sends the actual imputs, vs the commands Apple feels those inputs should send.

Apple makes using CAD and 3D drawings soooooo difficult.  They could have a "do things Apple's way" or "do things the way the rest of the universe does" option :)