You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Raw workflow with affinity and Macs

I shoot a lot tethered with Aperture. Also, basic color, organizing and rating all images in Aperture. My picks are exported as tiff and then open in AP for retouching and cropping. Have done a few test opening raw's in AP - but is not so satisfied with the result (nef files from a Nikon D7100). But I will do some serious tests…

How hard can it be to bolt on a DAM solution on AP?  :rolleyes:  ;)

-- Magnus

• 1 month later...

I'm interested in any solutions to this thread as well... I've been considering LR for months after getting nobbed with Aperture... bought it a mere month before it was shut down. Bought some learning courses for Aperture, a few workbooks and was about to dive into building my photo collection from yesteryear when the plug was pulled. Had been reeling with the decision as to whether I wanted to get ransomed for the Photographer's Solution (LR & PS) when Affinity came along to the rescue and between AP and ON1 I have no use for PS... but would have been forced to lease it anyway if I really wanted LR. Do I think LR would serve my DAM purposes... certainly! But as I'm not a pro who makes a living from photography I'm not so sure LR is a necessity.

What I've come up with and I'm still weighing the pros and cons of the solution is this.

• Import RAW (.nef) files through Finder into: Photographs (main photo folder) -> 2015 (current year) -> Travel (could also be Family, Business, NCP [one of my photo clubs], or whatever main category pops up) -> Europe -> River Cruise (yes it was wonderful)... and if I wanted to break it down even further I could break it down by cities or segments of that trip.

• Open ON1 Photo10 (Browse mode), locate folder (a few seconds) and voila... instant jpgs of all photos from the trip. ON1 has the fastest viewing on import of any prog I've come across. I then use the star ratings to cull the herd and can even use star rating of 5 (never used for any other photos) to tag any photos i want to delete from the folders. Keywording, copyrighting etc can all take place at this stage just as they would in LR. The biggest difference is that ON1 is not a DAM... I know, this will be a big difference for some, but all I want to do is sort and be able to call up photos by keyword, put them in collections or albums etc and ON1 allows me to do this.

• This is where Affinity Photo comes in: RAW editing... after culling the herd in ON1 I then open APhoto and begin to work on photos that I've tagged as needing immediate edits (perhaps as placed in certain collections/albums, or tagged with 1 or 2 star rating). As I am in the initial stages of this process I'm concerned about the lack of compatibility between ON1 and AP but am hopeful this will work.

I'd be interested to know if this would work for you, empty mind or where you think it breaks down.