You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Incorrect JPG exports since 1.9

Hi all, since 1.9 came out, if I save a layered file with an unsharp mask it is coming out all wrong. It looks right in Photo but you can see what happens when I export in the attached files. I turned off curves and saved a JPG and you can see that it is still pixelated but if I turn off the unsharp mask layer it looks right on export. I have added the AFPhoto file at https://www.dropbox.com/s/msu9c8xw788oc4a/Lilly2.afphoto?dl=0 and I hope you can see that. 

Are others seeing this too?

Phil

Lilly2 without curves.jpg

Lilly2 without unsharp mask.jpg

2021-02-16 333 Screenshot.jpg

2021-02-16 332 Screenshot.jpg

I like turtles!

Windows 11

Sony A7iii

Sony A7riii

Sony A7Rii

Sony RX10 Mkiii

Canon G5x

Mavic Mini drone

A partridge

A pear tree (occupied)

www.philrosephoto.com

Addendum. It's worse than I thought. If I have an unsharp mask and I rasterize it in the layers or if I flatten the file it adds the artefact. This makes Unsharp Mask as a live filter unusable. 

2021-02-16 334 Screenshot.jpg

2021-02-16 335 Screenshot.jpg

I like turtles!

Windows 11

Sony A7iii

Sony A7riii

Sony A7Rii

Sony RX10 Mkiii

Canon G5x

Mavic Mini drone

A partridge

A pear tree (occupied)

www.philrosephoto.com

I am seeing none of the disastrous effects your screenshots show. Using plain File > Export ... as JPEG Best preset. Nor in the PSD export.

Photo 1.9.0 and Mac OS 10.14.6

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

Well, sorry but I wasn't in the mood to download a 417 MB file, just for an inspection here. - My assumption since you are under Windows, it might be a problem with enabled OpenCL hardware acceleration. You should check if the above shown might be the cause of enabled hardware acceleration here. See also the Photo 1.9.1 beta build versions, there are chances it has fixed those issues you see in 1.9.

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

Sorry if it annoyed you that the file was large. I wasn't trying to insist anyone download it! Your suggestion totally worked though. I turned off hardware acceleration and now it seems to work just fine. Thanks! I'll snag that beta too and see if it's fixed.

Thanks again

I like turtles!

Windows 11

Sony A7iii

Sony A7riii

Sony A7Rii

Sony RX10 Mkiii

Canon G5x

Mavic Mini drone

A partridge

A pear tree (occupied)

www.philrosephoto.com

OK. I got the beta and it hasn't been fixed. If I turn of hardware acceleration it works and I don't think I'm seeing a lot of performance improvement if I have it turned on so I guess I'll just leave it turned off. I wonder if a dev will see this or if I should report it elsewhere. 

Phil

I like turtles!

Windows 11

Sony A7iii

Sony A7riii

Sony A7Rii

Sony RX10 Mkiii

Canon G5x

Mavic Mini drone

A partridge

A pear tree (occupied)

www.philrosephoto.com

6 minutes ago, Phil_rose said:

Sorry if it annoyed you that the file was large. I wasn't trying to insist anyone download it!

Since in Corona times I'm in home office in the country, I only have poor internet connections and slow throughput here. In the city in the office it would be no theme, since there we have superfast internet, but as said sadly the world looks different in the village in the country.

10 minutes ago, Phil_rose said:

Your suggestion totally worked though.

Fine you found the problem.

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan

Well, like I said, there was no demand from me that anyone download the AP file. That was just an option in case people wanted to download and play with the file to see if they got the same result and I think people can see what was happening without doing so. Again, sorry it annoyed you but I figured only those with sufficient internet would download it and others wouldn't but now we know your situation! 

Thanks for the advice though.

I like turtles!

Windows 11

Sony A7iii

Sony A7riii

Sony A7Rii

Sony RX10 Mkiii

Canon G5x

Mavic Mini drone

A partridge

A pear tree (occupied)

www.philrosephoto.com

21 minutes ago, Old Bruce said:

I am seeing none of the disastrous effects your screenshots show. Using plain File > Export ... as JPEG Best preset. Nor in the PSD export.

Must be a Windows only issue, I guess. Or a Me only issue!

I like turtles!

Windows 11

Sony A7iii

Sony A7riii

Sony A7Rii

Sony RX10 Mkiii

Canon G5x

Mavic Mini drone

A partridge

A pear tree (occupied)

www.philrosephoto.com

3 minutes ago, Phil_rose said:

If I turn of hardware acceleration it works and I don't think I'm seeing a lot of performance improvement if I have it turned on so I guess I'll just leave it turned off. I wonder if a dev will see this or if I should report it elsewhere.

Hmm don't know what GPU and drivers you have in use on your Windows box, but that plays a huge role here. Especially older GPUs often aren't >= DirectX 12 conform and also there are a bunch of GPU drivers which might behave slightly faullty here. - Take a look at some of the Affinity Photo Windows bugs threads, some of them deal with these themes!

24 minutes ago, Old Bruce said:

That's more a Win related OpenCL problem and depends on GPUs, correct working/functioning drivers etc. Even if a GPU itself might have the power and being adequat enough, if the driver versions are bad (from Intel, AMD, Nvidia or MS Win) then you may encounter problems here.

5 minutes ago, Phil_rose said:

will see here but I'll post it to there too.

This thread here for example is one of those where which discusses about certain Win OpenCL related problems with drivers etc.

One more addendum. I see that, if I add an unsharp mask and leave it white (affecting entire image) then it exports fine. It's only if I invert the unsharp mask live filter layer and then paint white on top of it to sharpen certain areas that the issue arises.

I like turtles!

Windows 11

Sony A7iii

Sony A7riii

Sony A7Rii

Sony RX10 Mkiii

Canon G5x

Mavic Mini drone

A partridge

A pear tree (occupied)

www.philrosephoto.com

This is so weird. I just restarted my machine and now all the images that were fine are showing the corruption in ACDSee. It must be a problem outside of Affinity or something. I dunno,

I like turtles!

Windows 11

Sony A7iii

Sony A7riii

Sony A7Rii

Sony RX10 Mkiii

Canon G5x

Mavic Mini drone

A partridge

A pear tree (occupied)

www.philrosephoto.com