You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Convert color to transparent

19 minutes ago, ONiel said:

I just want to make the black parts on the sides transparent. How do I do that?

Don’t bother! That bitmap/raster WhatsApp icon looks terrible. You’ll get a much cleaner result if you redraw it as vector.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

With the selection of the black surrounding pixels that's present in the saved file, simply click on the Background layer and hit Delete - your selected black pixels will be deleted, ie that area will become transparent.

(I hope I've not misunderstood what you're after!  This seems rather obvious, but then, what's obvious to one person ain't always going to be obvious to another…)

—— Gary ——

Photo/Designer/Publisher: Affinity Store, v2.4.n release

Mac mini (M1, 2020), 16GB/2TB, macOS Ventura 13.4.1(c) • MacBook Pro (Intel), macOS Ventura • Windows 10 via VMware Fusion • iOS: current release

Create a round-cornered rectangle of the required size and position it on top of the existing image. Go to the Layers panel, drag the new rectangle and drop it onto the thumbnail of the image to mask the target layer so that the black corners are no longer visible.

Alfred spacer.png

support-button-ad.jpg.6ad6acca74f28855095a5c8449d8d9e5.jpg

support-button-ad2.jpg.9d1b3e52351dde164d4d14a2dc6ffca7.jpg

You can easily draw that as plain vectors, which has the advantage that you can scale it up/down as desired.

1. I started with the phone inside a speech bubble on a rounded rect ...

• draw an equal sized green rounded rect
  • use an Affinity speech bubble shape, set white stroke color and no fill color
  • use the Glyph browser and find a phone in some glyph text font, set it to white color and afterwards convert it into curves
  • place the speech bubble and phone curve on the green rounded rect and arrange or center them on that
  • group the whole and name that group "phone-part"

2. Next choose some matching font and type the SUPPORT text and also add the red filled circle ...

• then select and arrange the "phone-part", support-text and red-circle (center them all together vertically)
  • group those all together named as "inner-parts"

3. Draw the white rounded rect ...

• place the "inner-parts" group onto the white rounded rect and arrange (center horizontally/vertically)
  • now group the white rounded rect together with the "inner-parts" for example named as "support button"

4. If you want add a black rect as a background to the document at the bottom of the layers panel, which you can toggle on/off on demand

5. You've done!

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/16/2021 at 7:53 PM, GaryLearnTech said:

With the selection of the black surrounding pixels that's present in the saved file, simply click on the Background layer and hit Delete - your selected black pixels will be deleted, ie that area will become transparent.

(I hope I've not misunderstood what you're after!  This seems rather obvious, but then, what's obvious to one person ain't always going to be obvious to another…)

No. The whole picture is the 'background'. Deleting the background deletes the whole picture...

On 2/16/2021 at 7:58 PM, Alfred said:

Create a round-cornered rectangle of the required size and position it on top of the existing image. Go to the Layers panel, drag the new rectangle and drop it onto the thumbnail of the image to mask the target layer so that the black corners are no longer visible.

This just gave me a round rectangle on top of my image...

3 minutes ago, ONiel said:

No. The whole picture is the 'background'. Deleting the background deletes the whole picture...

Not if you’ve made a pixel selection on a Pixel layer.

2 minutes ago, ONiel said:

This just gave me a round rectangle on top of my image...

You must have dropped it in the wrong place. If you drop it onto the image thumbnail you’ll get the desired effect, just as I described.

Alfred spacer.png

18 minutes ago, ONiel said:

In the file you supplied, you have already selected the part of the background that you want to remove, so I took that as the starting point here.  Since it's not initially selected, click the Background layer.  Delete.  And that leaves you with the transparency "behind" the part of the image that you're interested in.

—— Gary ——

Photo/Designer/Publisher: Affinity Store, v2.4.n release

Mac mini (M1, 2020), 16GB/2TB, macOS Ventura 13.4.1(c) • MacBook Pro (Intel), macOS Ventura • Windows 10 via VMware Fusion • iOS: current release