You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

adding more than 1.000 pages not possible

On AP 1.9.1.952 its not possible, to add more than 1.000 pages at once. Maybe this is a general restriction - often we are needing documents with 7.500 (numbered) pages.

So we heve to do this in 7 steps. It would be nice, if we can add 9999 pages at once.

Regards, Martin

iMac 27", 2017/Big Sur 11.2.2
MacMini M1/BigSur 11.2.2

First, if you've actually got a 7,500 page document working I'm impressed!

But I'm curious how you're getting the data into those pages? And what kind of data the pages have.

I ask because one of the most useful workflows in Publisher is to start with a Master Page and 1 document page, Place or paste your data into that first page, and then let Publisher automatically create the rest of the document pages when you Shift+Click on the linking triangle.

Or another one is where you use Document > Add Pages From File to merge in another file.

I'm rather puzzled by the idea of adding 7,500 blank pages and then the workflow you'd use to put data in them.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

46 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

I'm rather puzzled by the idea of adding 7,500 blank pages and then the workflow you'd use to put data in them.

You and I both.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

I‘d create a text file with the numbers 1–xxxx, one number each line (easily done with Excel) and paste it in a textbox on the Master Page with a text style applied that starts a new paragraph always on a new page. Shift-click on the text Flow handle, and, if your computer doesn‘t explode, you‘re done.

In case you don‘t need the numbers, delete the text frame from the master page, apply a transparent colour to your text style or delete the text you have pasted.

On another note: I don‘t know what you need this for and why, but it might be worth for you to get familiar with the new data merge features.

6 hours ago, muelli75 said:

often we are needing documents with 7.500 (numbered) pages

If you really want that many pages in your document then you can create a new Publisher file with 7,500 pages (and more) to begin with.

2017 27” iMac 4.2 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7 • Radeon Pr 580 8GB • 64GB • Ventura 13.6.4.

iPad Pro (10.5-inch) • 256GB • Version 16.4

We have to place a unique number on every single page. To do this, we use the pagenumber-feature.

We place content on the masterpage, than we add a textfield and put the automatic pagenumber Text-->Insert->Fields->Pagenumber on this masterpage.

Then we have to make a document with X pages and ready is our numbered document (Page-Palette, right mousebutton, Add pages (see attached screenshot)). Therefore adding only 1.000 pages is too less.

This workflow is often used for tickets, startnumbers, forms, certificates etc.

Bildschirmfoto 2021-02-17 um 08.06.14.png

Regards, Martin

iMac 27", 2017/Big Sur 11.2.2
MacMini M1/BigSur 11.2.2

Thanks for that example, @muelli75.

I like @Seneca's idea. Why not just create you document from the beginning with 7500 pages? The File > New dialog allows that, and they will all have the Master Page applied. Then just fill in the Master Page content and it will apply to all the document pages.

I also like @Jens Krebs idea, and the recommendation of investigating Data Merge.

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

12 hours ago, Seneca said:

create a new Publisher file with 7,500 pages (and more) to begin with.

I have just played around with this and can confirm it works ... I have created a new, empty, document with 12.000 pages (why the heck not?) and then placed an image and a page number on the master page. Works just fine, it takes a little while to create the document and to update it though (which is normal, considering the amount of pages ... just mentioning it to make sure people don't give up when they create the document, click "OK" and nothing happens for 20 seconds -- just be patient. ;0).

7 minutes ago, MickRose said:

Can you have leading zeros? 001, 002 etc.

image.png.7eb86da4ce1b22e54bc60c1fc7587d7e.png

-- Walt
PC:

Thanks Walt - I just realised how easy it is. I'd guess that documents with hundreds of pages could be very large. It would be good if the Datamerge Manager could generate a PDF as an option. I think that has already been requested.

Windows 10 Pro, I5 3.3G PC 16G RAM

Here is an initial file of 1 page on Windows. I added a long lorem ipsum that I put in the text frame of this page. The automatic page creation function to get to the end of the text frame then created 3166 pages.
I then added 2000 pages. So we should have had 5166 pages. Only 4166 pages exist.
So I confirm that only 1000 were created by the page creation function from the page palette.

3166+2166=4166.afpub

6 cœurs, 12 processus - Windows 11 pro - 4K - DirectX 12 - Suite universelle Affinity (Affinity  Publisher, Affinity Designer, Affinity Photo).

Mais je vous le demande, peut-on imaginer une police sans sérifs ?

On 2/16/2021 at 12:12 PM, muelli75 said:

On AP 1.9.1.952 its not possible, to add more than 1.000 pages at once. Maybe this is a general restriction - often we are needing documents with 7.500 (numbered) pages.

So we heve to do this in 7 steps. It would be nice, if we can add 9999 pages at once.

I believe it's been mentioned before, but a Book function might be nice.