You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

New Brush From Selection won't take colour

SarahH

Somebody asked about this on one of the Facebook groups, and I'm wondering if it might be a bug.

If I create a new brush using New Brush From Selection, the brush seems to be created okay, but it gets created in whatever colour I used... and it doesn't show up as white in the menu like all the other brushes. It also won't take on any other colours. I created this brush using green, but then used the brush after choosing red (apparently). As you can see, it doesn't matter what colour I choose; the brush will only use the colour it was created with. (It's even weirder if you use a selection from a photo. The brush is opaque and in full colour, so you might as well be copying and pasting.)

Can anyone else confirm that this is a bug? Or are we doing something wrong? The same thing also happens in Designer in Pixel Persona, but I thought I'd start in Photo...

brush.png

It's not a bug. It is the result of poor UX design of the software.

You've created an image brush, but need an intensity brush. A brush made from selection will always make an image brush but that will behave like an intensity brush if you select a region of a Mask layer instead of a Pixel layer.

Of course, a future version of the software may sensibly have a separate command for making an intensity brush from selection of a Pixel layer.

There are Intensity Brushes and Brushes. To make an intensity brush you have to export the smiley face as a png (it will have a transparent background if you use the default PNG preset) and then you can set the colours, if you want to have 100% density/opacity you have to use pure black before exporting otherwise you'll have a maximum of what ever the level is in the png.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

7 hours ago, anon2 said:

Of course, a future version of the software may sensibly have a separate command for making an intensity brush from selection of a Pixel layer.

This is what I hope happens.

5 minutes ago, anon2 said:

You don't have to do that. See my earlier message about creating a brush from a selected region of a Mask.

too early still for me to try, but thanks for the advice and technique.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.