You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Layers Added W/ Every Touch

Unfortunately, I am not able to work in a layer or on an art board with out every stroke of the brush or line of a pencil creating a new layer, resulting in a cascade of many layers within just a minute.  Is anyone else having this problem and/or know of a solution?  Thanks for the help.

24 minutes ago, Paul Kreutz said:

Unfortunately, I am not able to work in a layer or on an art board with out every stroke of the brush or line of a pencil creating a new layer, resulting in a cascade of many layers within just a minute.  Is anyone else having this problem and/or know of a solution?  Thanks for the help.

It always seemed like I was the only person who found this to be problematic.  I figured my workflow must be very different than everybody else's.  I can work for hours in Illustrator and end up with a project with 5 layers.  It's not that the layers aren't being created, but it doesn't automatically expose them, and there's no reason for me to see them.  99% of the time, I have no reason to tip those sublayers and look into them because everything can be accessed and done without tipping the layers.

• 1 month later...

I'm having this problem as well. Every time I lift my pen off the screen, a new layer is added to the document. It started doing this as soon as I began using my pen. I don't see any place in the settings where this "feature," assuming it is one, can be turned on or off. Does anyone have a solution to this? Because it's going to be impossible to draw anything if every time I want to erase a line, I have to dig through a thousand layers to select that line and erase it, or else have to somehow draw everything with a single line so that I never make more than the number of layers I want to use.

On 2/15/2021 at 11:32 PM, Paul Kreutz said:

every stroke of the brush or line of a pencil creating a new layer

Perhaps change some settings in View > Assistant Manager.

11 minutes ago, JansenG said:

I lift my pen off the screen

That seems to me like a different issue.

MacBookAir 15": MacOS Ventura > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // MacBookPro 15" mid-2012: MacOS El Capitan > Affinity v1 / MacOS Catalina > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // iPad 8th: iPadOS 16 > Affinity v2

I think I'm describing the same issue, in that each stroke is automatically made into its own layer; I was just specifying that the layer appears in the list when I lift the pen from the screen. In any case, I had changed the settings in the Assistant Manager that seemed related, and even turned the Assistant off, to no avail. Every line made is its own layer.

27 minutes ago, JansenG said:

... every time I want to erase a line, I have to dig through a thousand layers to select that line and erase it...

If you click on  the line or form you drawed, it will be selected and you can erase it. If you want to "dig" for it easily in the layers panel, rightclick on the line and click on "Find in Layers Panel" (Ctrl+K).

It is true that Affinity Designer does some things in another way as Illustrator does. It's because it's anotther program. If you like the way Illustrator does it, use Illustrator. Your choice.

I have no real memory of using Illustrator, and my issue isn't in whatever differences exist in this program. I know how to select different layers. I'm just saying it's annoying that each individual line is being made into its own layer, without my choice or desire, and the whole point of layers and managing layers is deciding what lines and objects are grouped together and treated as a whole. And writing off my valid concerns with "if you don't like it, leave" is unproductive. I'm not looking to be combative here, and I apologize if it sounds like I am. I'm just looking for a way to draw more than one line as a single layer, and for the program to not automatically turn each line I make into its own layer. Another person commented on here saying they work for hours with only five layers, so I know there's at least one person who works with this program the way I want to. 

Waitaminit, guys: are we talking about Affinity Designer or Photo?

MacBookAir 15": MacOS Ventura > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // MacBookPro 15" mid-2012: MacOS El Capitan > Affinity v1 / MacOS Catalina > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // iPad 8th: iPadOS 16 > Affinity v2

51 minutes ago, JansenG said:

...Another person commented on here saying they work for hours with only five layers, so I know there's at least one person who works with this program the way I want to. 

That is possibly a misunderstanding. If you click on the button "Add Layer" at the bottom of the Layers panel, you will get a new layer ("Layer 1", "Layer 2"...). If you draw a curve, you will see that nevertheless there will be created a new sublayer. In other vectorgraphics programs it works just a little different, but not really completely different. In Inkscape for example, every new curve is an object, listed in the Objects panel (can't remember how it is solved in Illustrator, but I think it is somehow similar). But there is a seperated panel for layers. May sound better, but objects from different layers can't be added, subtracted etc. or even grouped, so you have to copy them to one layer if you want to. As I sayd: different programs, different solutions.

By the way: Sorry, I didn't really want to be unfriendly. But here are so many people who tell us that they are coming from Illustrator, Photoshop and InDesign, where everything is better. I often ask myself why they don't still use the Adobe products, if they are so much better.

15 minutes ago, JansenG said:

Designer

Then what you're experiencing is literally "by design" (as Serif staff would usually say :))

affinity.help/designer/English.lproj/pages/Layers/aboutLayers.html ff.
affinity.serif.com/en-gb/tutorials/designer/desktop/video/301623317