You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

SVG Export Probleme

kochy25

• Staff

Hi kochy25

When reporting information please supply us with as much information as you can to help us reproduce such as step by step recipes, including screenshots and referenced files. Please see this forum heading for more information. Without this information we cannot help you.
https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/forum/72-report-a-bug-in-affinity-designer/

1 hour ago, Sean P said:

Hi kochy25

When reporting information please supply us with as much information as you can to help us reproduce such as step by step recipes, including screenshots and referenced files. Please see this forum heading for more information. Without this information we cannot help you.
https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/forum/72-report-a-bug-in-affinity-designer/

Today evening I will make some screenshots to display what I mean step by step.

Yesterday made some experiments with AD, inkscape and the silhouette studio (for the plotter). I have made a vector design in AD - Export to several formats: svg, EPS... And try to open that files in inkscape and Silhouette Studio. The SVG file looks in inkscape like in AD, Same size, same lines - page size:A4

In silhouette Are the page shrinked from size A4 to a small space 2x2 cm.

If I save the file from a.D - opened in inkscape - in SVG Format without doing any changes - I can open the file in Silhouette Studio and the page appears samewise as seen in AD.

Same Name, same file format - only saved by an other Programm.

I will make screenshots from AD as soon I can.

I am not really Shure, that the problem is a export Problem from AD or an import Probleme from Silhouette.

But the file from inkscape works in the studio wery well - so I guess the problem at affinity designer.

My laptop is on Win7.

The designer runs normal on the system I think.

You should provide SVG sample files generated from Designer and Inkscape (if those work) too here then, so they could be compared against each other. in terms of generated SVG code contents.

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

So i have done my Homework. AD_file.jpg shows the File in AD. Export_window.jpg shows the export screen. I have tried Several options with all the same Result in Silhouette. File_View_browser.jpg shows the file from AD in Browser Window. File_in_Silhouette.jpg shows the appearance of the AD File in the Studio after "import" . Save_SG.jpg shows the next screen after the Export Screen. SVG_Text_view.jpg shows a part of the AD File in Texteditor. SVG_text_view_inkscape.jpg shows a part of the SVG from Inkscape i have saved without changes. Inkscape_view_schows the AD File opened in Inkscape. SVG_file_inkscape_in_silhouette.jpg shows the File i have saved in inkscape opened from AD. Inkscape_page_setup.jpg  you see, that the page is at Din A 4 Size. I hope i dont have forgotten something.

AD_file.JPG

Export_window.JPG

file_in_silhouette.JPG

File_view_Browser.JPG

Save_svg.JPG

SVG_Text_view.JPG

Inksacape_page_setup.JPG

Inkscape_view.JPG

Save_SVG_Inkscape.JPG

SVG_file_inkscape_in_Silhouette.JPG

svg_text_view_inkscape.JPG

Well I for my part meant previouly with "...generated SVG code contents" the SVG-files themself and not just a JPG or any other bitmap screenshot from that! - Aka the files ...

1. affinity_generated.svg
  2. inkscape_generated.svg

See also related to that Silhouette software the following threads ...

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

• Staff

Hi Kochy25,

Thanks for the files - unfortunately the Free version of Silhouette Studio doesn't allow for import of SVG so I cannot really  investigate much further. However comparing the two SVGs I can see that Affinity is outputting the SVG header like this:

<svg width="100%" height="100%" viewBox="0 0 2480 3509" 

Where as Inkscape is outputting it like this:

<svg width="210mm" height="297mm" viewBox="0 0 210 297"

I presume Silhouette is detecting the mm units and in the height and width and sizing it accordingly, where as ours are exported using pixels as units, so on import depending on the working DPI of the application will give differing sizes.

We do have an improvement logged to allow our SVG exporter to retain the document's units on export instead of relying on pixels - in which case I believe would solve this particular issue. Unfortunately as I don't have access to Silhouette Studio with SVG I cannot suggest anything that will help you work around the issue. I will pass on your comments to development and get that improvement bumped.

12 hours ago, Sean P said:

Hi Kochy25,

Thanks for the files - unfortunately the Free version of Silhouette Studio doesn't allow for import of SVG so I cannot really  investigate much further. However comparing the two SVGs I can see that Affinity is outputting the SVG header like this:

<svg width="100%" height="100%" viewBox="0 0 2480 3509" 

Where as Inkscape is outputting it like this:

<svg width="210mm" height="297mm" viewBox="0 0 210 297"

I presume Silhouette is detecting the mm units and in the height and width and sizing it accordingly, where as ours are exported using pixels as units, so on import depending on the working DPI of the application will give differing sizes.

We do have an improvement logged to allow our SVG exporter to retain the document's units on export instead of relying on pixels - in which case I believe would solve this particular issue. Unfortunately as I don't have access to Silhouette Studio with SVG I cannot suggest anything that will help you work around the issue. I will pass on your comments to development and get that improvement bumped.

Its clear to me now, why the ad file is looking so small in Silhouette. I have switched and will take export to EPS in Future - that works fine in Silhouette. I will be glad to hear/see that little problem changed in further Updates.

• 11 months later...