You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Export of Selected Items in Document

bergb

In one of my current projects I'm working on my company's new brand identity (logo, title fonts, etc).  In the past I've been accustomed to placing several of those brand graphics in the same document, editing them individually, and then exporting them to separate .eps or .svg files.  

It doesn't look like "Export Selected Item" is an option right now, but it would sure be a time saver versus creating different files for each graphic element.  What do you think?

Hi bergb, you might need an update to be able to do this as you want in SVG and EPS formats, right now they are whole page only exports.

For other formats, if you switch to the Export persona (3rd button at the top left) you'll be able to turn your layers into slices, then go to the Slices panel and export individual elements like a web or UI designer. You can export at the object's native size and at 2x in one go if you wish. Exported file names are taken form the slice names.

I think you are not alone in requesting a selected items option as part of the Export dialog, or also to have SVG/EPS exportable as slices.

Dale.

Twitter: @Writer_Dale
Affinity apps run on: Ryzen 5 3600, 32GB RAM, GTX1650 Super

Great to hear that support for vector object export is in the works.  I did study the slice panel and am quite impressed with its ease of use, but for me, bitmap-only export will occasionally fall short of my needs.  Export Selected Object will be a welcome addition to this already terrific application.  Thank you!

The slice panel is very effective but maybe a bit OTT for simple "Export Selected" options.

Remember click the 'slice' palette layers and rename the slices before export (acts like "save as") - you can find what you exported and stop over-writing existing files.

It's well worth playing with and looks promising.

It's almost Freehand + Fireworks in one package.

Very impressive so far.

• 2 weeks later...

I'd particularly like to export selected objects as PDF/EPS for assembly into instruction sheets in other programs that use repeated elements.

I have been using VectorDesigner which accomplished this very easily but that program has vanished from the App Store and into thin air.

I haven’t tried the “Export Persona” yet, because I, too, need to export “pieces” of vector graphics as separate PDFs or EPS files.

I did notice that even when I hide items on the layers palette that the objects will often show up in the exported PDF, so I have to do a “Save As” and give it a new name and delete extraneous objects in order to keep that from happening.

If you do add in “Export Selection” please see if you can include an “Export Text as RTF” — there are times I need to move text from one application to another and keep the font (bold, italic, underline, strike-through, etc), paragraph style settings and text color(s) the same in each program — it would be nice to do that without having to rely on my Mac’s iffy copy and paste (to-from clipboard) for each text box.

-GenoaJenn

——————————

Jenn in Genoa

• 1 year later...