You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Develop Persona rotate not correct [solved]

Issues/situation:
When I rotate a photo in the Develop Persona it does not 'translate' correctly into Photo Person - but gives me a very strange set of coordinates and once I then export it from there it's back to the original rotation. 

Here's the specs for my computer:
Mac Pro (Late 2013)
Processor 3,5 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon E5
Memory 16 GB 1866 MHz DDR3
Graphics AMD FirePro D700 6 GB

Question:
Is this just me or does anyone else have this issue?
Also is it possible to set the rotation in Develop Persona to 90 degrees and/or have a hotkey for it?

Screenshots:
See attached screencast of the issue.
( Notice the coordinate system showing negative numbers )

Operating system:
OSX Catalina 10.15.6

Affinity Photo:
Version 1.9.0

Unusual hardware:
Wacom tablet Intuos pro

Any help or input on this matter is much appreciated.

Thank you in advance.

PS: if this post is in the wrong forum, then please let me know, and I will submit it in another.

Edited by Sofa Gas Rue
updated title

The rotate in the Develop persona is just rotating the image for ease of use using the brush tools, it is not rotating the actual image in the document. You can change this rotation in the Photo Persona after developing.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

7 minutes ago, Old Bruce said:

The rotate in the Develop persona is just rotating the image for ease of use using the brush tools, it is not rotating the actual image in the document. You can change this rotation in the Photo Persona after developing.

if it's only for brush work in develop persona how come the rotation is kept in photo person?

4 minutes ago, Sofa Gas Rue said:

if it's only for brush work in develop persona how come the rotation is kept in photo person?

Sorry about being far less than clear. In the Photo persona you can do the same (as in the Develop persona) rotation via View > Rotate Right

531727296_ScreenShot2021-02-15at7_33_14AM.png.263988adebac7969a9f67c0f4c0f606e.png

And the permanent rotation is under Document > Rotate 90....

2114818015_ScreenShot2021-02-15at7_33_31AM.png.0e0ccb8565e02cca16555c0d105c732e.png

Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

4 minutes ago, Old Bruce said:

Sorry about being far less than clear. In the Photo persona you can do the same (as in the Develop persona) rotation via View > Rotate Right

531727296_ScreenShot2021-02-15at7_33_14AM.png.263988adebac7969a9f67c0f4c0f606e.png

And the permanent rotation is under Document > Rotate 90....

2114818015_ScreenShot2021-02-15at7_33_31AM.png.0e0ccb8565e02cca16555c0d105c732e.png

I am aware rotation can be done in Photo Persona, that was not my question. The issue which I do not understand is; why, if the rotation in Develop Persona is only for paint work, does it keep the rotation in Photo Person after it's been developed and then not keep it on export? To me it feel as if it has not been thought out properly, otherwise the rotation in Develop Persona would be keep in Photo Persona as if it had been done in Photo Persona.

What you are proposing is on opening in Develop Persona you rotate to do you paint work and THEN rotate back to develop it and once in Photo Persona you would have to rotate in again?

My workflow is to have my camera set the orientation of Portrait and Landscape pictures to be written to the Raw file. If I have a file which is not rotated correctly then I do do as you say.

10 minutes ago, Sofa Gas Rue said:

What you are proposing is on opening in Develop Persona you rotate to do you paint work and THEN rotate back to develop it and once in Photo Persona you would have to rotate in again?

• Staff

Hi @Sofa Gas Rue,
To rotate the document in Develop Persona click the Rotate Clockwise or Anticlokwise buttons in the main toolbar. If they are not there, right-click the main toolbar as select Customise Toolbar - add/drag the Rotation group to the toolbar. The rotate commands in the View menu are just for adjusting the view, not the document itself.

@MEB - ace thanks for the tip - this actually taught me that there is a difference between rotating through the View menu and the Rotation group from the toolbar. I've attached a quick screen recording of both and their result. Personally I find that illogic to have two rotation options which yields different results, but now I know.

• Staff

As i explained above those commands are for different things: The rotate commands from the View menu are just for rotating the view of the document, NOT the document itself (think for example when you write or draw on a piece of paper and you rotate it a bit to make it easier to write or draw in certain directions - that what you are doing here), whereas the buttons you just added in the main toolbar are actually to rotate the document itself.

Comparing to the Photo Persona, the View commands are on the exact same menu (View > Rotate Left and View > Rotate Right), whereas the rotate buttons you added in Develop Persona correspond to Document > Rotate 90º Clockwise and Document > Rotate 90º Anticlockwise in Photo Persona - notice the command here are in the Document menu (not View) - they actually rotate the document itself.

2 hours ago, MEB said:

As i explained above those commands are for different things: The rotate commands from the View menu are just for rotating the view of the document, NOT the document itself (think for example when you write or draw on a piece of paper and you rotate it a bit to make it easier to write or draw in certain directions - that what you are doing here), whereas the buttons you just added in the main toolbar are actually to rotate the document itself.

Comparing to the Photo Persona, the View commands are on the exact same menu (View > Rotate Left and View > Rotate Right), whereas the rotate buttons you added in Develop Persona correspond to Document > Rotate 90º Clockwise and Document > Rotate 90º Anticlockwise in Photo Persona - notice the command here are in the Document menu (not View) - they actually rotate the document itself.

@MEB I hear you :)