You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Unexpected 'Select Same' behaviour

Select Same is a feature I've been hanging out for for quite some time, and thanks so much for adding it!

However, aside from my general issue with it not being limited to selected artboards I did notice something unexpected with it today and thought I'd post the file here in case it is of any use. Basically I created a group of curves with strokes applied, each either yellow or white. This group is masked within a curve.

If you select a YELLOW curve and then select Select Same > Stroke Colour and change the colour, for some reason it changes the colour of all strokes within the group.

If you select a WHITE curve and then select Select Same > Stroke Colour and change the colour it only changes a select few of them. I think somewhere there's an issue with grouping and using Select Same across groups.

Hopefully it's an easy one to fix!

select-same-test.afdesign

There is something odd with your document. If I start selecting yellow curves via the Layers panel, quite often nothing on the screen appears to be selected (no indication via bounding box or nodes). This leads me to wonder where those objects really are.

Then, when I found one that was visible in the document when selected, and I did Select Same Stroke, I got a bounding box that covered the lower part of the artboard but then extended about 800 px below the artboard, and about 1800 px to the right of the artboard. That section of pasteboard is apparently empty, so I'm not sure why it is that size.

But at that point, the yellow curves are selected, in the Layers panel, and the white curves among them are not. That seems reasonable.

But then, as you noted, changing the stroke color changes the color of the yellow curves that are selected, and also changes the color of the unselected white curves.

And the History panel gets two entries that say "Set Line Fill.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

If you look at the Group Layer you will see that it has a yellow stroke applied to it

So, when you select a stroke colour of yellow for one of the curves and do a Select Same > Stroke Colour you also select the group layer

Thus, changing yellow to, say, red also changes the yellow to red for the Group layer which then affects every layer (curve) in that group

Not sure how/why the group got its stoke colour but an easy fix is just to ungroup then regroup the layers

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.