You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Unwanted behavior when you select an adjustment in 1.9

Hi, first post here.

In 1.8 versions when you click an adjustment it pops up a window with default settings, so you can start tweaking things around. I'm used to that.

But in 1.9, when you click in the desired adjustment it doesn't open any window, and you have to make another click to select a preset. It's unconfortable and I find it a bad design, it slows down your workflow without need.

Can someone explain further if this is a bug or a behaviour change? It's so annoying having to make two clicks instead of a single one.

By the way, I find it annoying that there's no auto-close option to avoid many adjustments to be opened at the same time... please change it to open no more than 3 adjustments presets or so.

Forgive my english and if the category or format is wrong.

image.png.ffd307d32044dbd7e5d3f1f4668b37c7.png
Edited by Yuli

Yes, that's the new way that the Adjustment panel works. The old way was causing problems in some workflows, so it was intentionally changed in 1.9.

So now you have to select the preset before the adjustment layer is created. Alternatively, use Layer > New Adjustment from the menu or use the Adjustments icon at the bottom of the Layers panel.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

17 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

Yes, that's the new way that the Adjustment panel works. The old way was causing problems in some workflows, so it was intentionally changed in 1.9.

So now you have to select the preset before the adjustment layer is created. Alternatively, use Layer > New Adjustment from the menu or use the Adjustments icon at the bottom of the Layers panel.

Thanks for the reply.

I wish I could have an option to restore the old design. Adjustments panel is one of the Affinity Photo best features, but it doesn't make sense clicking twice instead of once. It's a worser workflow.

1 minute ago, Yuli said:

Adjustments panel is one of the Affinity Photo best features, but it doesn't make sense clicking twice instead of once. It's a worser workflow.

For me, the Adjustment panel is a good feature because it lets me see the presets and their effects, and choose one to start with.

If I didn't want to see the effects of the presets as a guide, I would just use Layer > New Adjustment or the Adjustments icon on the Layers panel. And if I do want to see the presets as a guide, clicking one more time to choose the starting point is not an issue for me.

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

But you're not the first to have asked for a preference to restore the old behavior.

-- Walt
PC:

Just now, walt.farrell said:

But you're not the first to have asked for a preference to restore the old behavior.

It should be an option. These simple decisions must be implemented as configurable options within the app settings, so everyone could be happy. I hope they consider this. Thanks for replying

You're welcome.

-- Walt
PC:

On 2/14/2021 at 1:51 PM, Yuli said:

It should be an option. These simple decisions must be implemented as configurable options within the app settings, so everyone could be happy. I hope they consider this. Thanks for replying

I agree with Yuli that the one click adjustments were much more streamlined for me. I wish they would have explained the change in the new update because I had to do a lot of searching in order to figure out how to make adjustments. I never had an issue with the one click adjustments and I think they should be brought back. It was so much easier and faster to use!

I'm finding I have to click several times on the default of each setting to get the panel to open. Two clicks wouldn't be so bad, but two doesn't work for me. This is very boring to have it changed, just because some people wanted something different. I agree make it a choice to have this or stay as it was.

I am still on Catalina as my Mac can't upgrade anymore due to age.

40 minutes ago, bknewhaven said:

I'm finding I have to click several times on the default of each setting to get the panel to open.

I've seen at least one other report of that, and it sounds like a bug, to me.

-- Walt
PC: