You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Publisher 1.9.0 hangs when changing Text Wrap settings

CP16

I'm working with a Publisher document that has a lot of vector images (grouped) that I copy/paste from Designer. Once I paste them into Publisher, I usually change the text wrap setting to either Jump or Square/Largest Size. I didn't have a problem with this before 1.9.0. Now when I select the text wrap option, it doesn't take effect until I try to move the pinned grouped image. This is new -- it used to take effect right away. The worst part is that when I try to move I move it, I get the rainbow spinner. Sometimes it comes back long enough for me to save, but usually I have to force quit.

I tried recreating my document and adding in one grouped image at a time. Hangs right away trying to move the first one I paste in.

I tried restarting Publisher holding down CTRL.

I'm not sure what else I can try, but I really need a fix. I sell my work (so I will not post my file here), and was slated to have it published this week. ETA: I chopped the file down to a 6-page version that I can email. I just won't post it publicly.

I just tried the Beta version, and it still happens. Though the wrapping does take effect immediately. After that, I get the spinny rainbow when trying to change any of the wrap dimensions (distance from text), or just try to get back to my document to save it. I'm unable to close the text wrap window, and unable to save. Had to force quit.

More info: I actually have 6 nearly identical documents. Right now, only one of those is having the problems I mentioned above. I'm recreating that one now, using one of the non-problematic documents as a base. Copying/pasting my diagrams from Designer. I'm wondering if there's a certain point where it will start to malfunction. If it doesn't, then I'll just chalk that one up to having been corrupted somehow.

I'm not sure if anyone is keeping track of this, but everything was going OK until I started pinning my grouped diagrams to paragraphs. That seems to be when everything starts hanging. ETA: I checked the Activity Monitor when this happens, and CPU % for Publisher is at 108%. I let it sit instead of force quitting, and after few minutes, it went back to normal and let me continue working. I'm sporadically able to pin and adjust the text wrap settings without issue. I never know when it's going to hang.

• Staff

We are 5-7 days behind on some support responses sorry. I'm sure your thread will be addressed soon. Thanks for your perseverance, it is appreciated.

@Jon P when you get a chance...

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

• Staff

Hi @CP16,

Now when I select the text wrap option, it doesn't take effect until I try to move the pinned grouped image.

This should be fixed in the latest beta, so I'm curious if the spinwheel you are seeing is also fixed, can you give it a try in the beta here and let us know.

Thanks

Serif Europe Ltd. - www.serif.com

1 hour ago, Jon P said:

Hi @CP16,

This should be fixed in the latest beta, so I'm curious if the spinwheel you are seeing is also fixed, can you give it a try in the beta here and let us know.

Thanks

I had tried the Beta version already. The wrapping takes effect immediately, but it still hangs a lot. ETA: I meant to add that it only gets completely hosed when it reaches CPU 120% and up. Below that, if I wait a bit, it calms down and gives me control again. I can't tell when it's going to get up to 120, though. I've been able to continue working, as long as I have the activity monitor open and stop working when I see the CPU % go up. It's been saving, I haven't lost work. So that's good!

On 2/16/2021 at 7:23 AM, Jon P said:

Hi @CP16,

Thanks

After a couple of days of just working slowly, but still working, now my file fails to load in any version.

• Staff

@CP16 That file is loading in the current beta fine for me, what happens when you say it fails to load, does it crash or error at all?

The only thing I'm missing is some of the fonts you used but i'd be surprised if they were causing it to fail to open

2 hours ago, Jon P said:

@CP16 That file is loading in the current beta fine for me, what happens when you say it fails to load, does it crash or error at all?

The only thing I'm missing is some of the fonts you used but i'd be surprised if they were causing it to fail to open

The file I sent has the crashing on moving the diagrams. I will send the file that fails to open. Can I use the same link?

• Staff

The same link is fine, is it any specific diagrams you are moving with the file you already sent? I notice high CPU usage if I move diagrams around as it's calculating the wrapping, but it doesn't crash for me

28 minutes ago, Jon P said:

The same link is fine, is it any specific diagrams you are moving with the file you already sent? I notice high CPU usage if I move diagrams around as it's calculating the wrapping, but it doesn't crash for me

It's happening consistently in that file I already sent with the top image on page 6. Other images, too. I usually click and drag, and that seems to be when it happens. I will try to get a video.

I can't find a document that hangs when opening. I had one that I named "broken", but it's opening fine now. I'm wondering if it was hanging because when Publisher opens, it also reopens that previous documents, and maybe a previous document was already having trouble.

I uploaded a video to that link. This is showing the file I sent before, in the 1.9 Beta version. I'm also open to other suggestions, if there's a better or more efficient way to do what I'm trying to do. I want the diagrams to move with the text, which is why I pinned it. I also want some of the diagrams to appear next to the text, so I use the text wrapping option. My documents are typically up to 60 pages long, with diagram groupings similar to what's in that small file.

ETA: In case this is relevant -- I create all my diagrams in Designer (1.9) and copy/paste into Publisher. I sometimes will change something within Publisher, but usually change it in Designer and copy/paste again. LMK if you want me to upload my Designer file. It's 31Mb, though.

@Jon P

Just tried the latest Beta (1.9.1.967), and it's still happening. At this point, this is stopping me from being able to work. I can't open my 1.9 files in 1.8, and I can't keep my 1.9 files open long enough without hanging, to copy/paste my text. I have 6 documents that were due this week. Please let me know if there's any other info you need -- if you can't reproduce it, I'll need more help troubleshooting.

• Staff

I've reproduced this now and passed it on @CP16.

If you have saved these files and have no 1.8 backup unfortunately I can't really get these files into 1.8, I'm only getting a crash when moving these pinned objects, and removing the pin but keeping the wrapping applied allows me to move them around the document without a hang

3 hours ago, Jon P said:

I've reproduced this now and passed it on @CP16.

If you have saved these files and have no 1.8 backup unfortunately I can't really get these files into 1.8, I'm only getting a crash when moving these pinned objects, and removing the pin but keeping the wrapping applied allows me to move them around the document without a hang

I recreated my doc in 1.8 this weekend. I was able to save it as a template in 1.9, and open as a new file (still in 1.9). That allowed me to delete all the images without hanging, and copy/paste the text into 1.8.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for this conversation. I'm having similar issues. I'm using Publisher 1.9, and if I start playing around with the text wrap too much, the app hangs and I get the spinning rainbow. The images I'm wrapping around are all basic, placed TIFFs. It's not any specific image that causes the hang, and it doesn't happen right away. It's like, if I make too many wrapping changes in a row, suddenly I get the spinning rainbow. Sometimes I'm able to save and exit, though it takes a while. Other times I have to force quit. Is there a fix available?

16 hours ago, mjongsma said:

if I make too many wrapping changes in a row, suddenly I get the spinning rainbow.

Editing the wraps means all the text has to be reflowed, this can be a simple job or an extremely difficult job depending on the amount of following text and the flow options for all the following text. Then it all gets compounded if you have any pinned or floating images with text wraps applied to them.

Next time it happens, go make a cup of tea.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

• 6 months later...