You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Exploding text effect

2 hours ago, Josie said:

I watched the video and it looks confusing on what to do

Which video did you watch, Josie, and at what point did it become confusing for you?

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

On 2/14/2021 at 8:04 PM, Josie said:

I watched the one using the desktop version

Which one?? Please provide a link, and tell us where (i.e. how many minutes into the video) the confusing bit about adding the brush effect occurs.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

1 hour ago, Josie said:

The video is perfectly straight-forward.  All you have to do is to take your own notes. That is exactly what anybody here on the forum would have do for you.  Hit pause at any point in the video where you need to see what the creator is doing (i.e. add pixel layer, or change to erase tool, or select brush, or select new brush, add a rectangle, etc.)  Go back to an earlier point in the video if you still don't understand and play it over again.  The brushes themselves are image brushes, which the creator has in his brushes file.  Same thing for the texture jpg that he uses.  Unless you can locate those or something similar for use on your iPad, you will need to find yourself some debris brushes -- there are many places to look by googling.

This may sound harsh, but you will learn a great deal more by figuring out how to create this effect yourself after watching the video than by having someone list for you 1., 2. 3, etc.  Take notes!  Many notes!!   

24" iMAC Apple M1 chip, 8-core CPU, 8-core GPU, 16 GB unified memory, 1 TB SSD storage, Ventura 13.6.  Photo, Publisher, Designer 1.10.5, and 2.3.
MacBook Pro 13" 2020, Apple M1 chip, 16GB unified memory, 256GB  SSD storage
,  Ventura 13.6.   Publisher, Photo, Designer 1.10.5, and 2.1.1.  
 iPad Pro 12.9 2020 (4th Gen. IOS 16.6.1); Apple pencil.  
Wired and bluetooth mice and keyboards.9_9

Notes or rewatching are are indeed a good things to make...especially in Tutorial Videos that are without commentary (or this type with music).

If able...Screenshots can be another easy visual note tool. The more complex it is...might have to be a combination of both- 1 to have Visuals, 2 for Actual Steps.

Like this ScreenShot grab taken (pause video first, then take)

8A29CB5C-F9D8-47D6-8F9E-F19EF6396715.jpeg.fbc2f7349649129e1b47f344c5b641a2.jpeg

Then you can see the Basics of things (Layout...Layers..Organization etc).

‘This one being particularly simple really....being just Layering....the following actually starting process at the bottom, then adding one by one on top of ....

1- Type Text......can leave as is, to edit and still do this...or Rasterize, if wanting other effects

-Live HSL Adjustment ....at top, so can continue adjusting for Color

-Texture Image....any image desired can be used...for this more of cracking dry mud....set to Multiply- to ‘cover’ everything beneath..

-Paintbrush Pixel Layer....for rendering outside of Text (retaining Text to its own form)...using simple texturized type Brush White Color (to match Text)....

-Paintbrush Pixel Layer (set to Brush black or to match background)...or can use Erase if Text is Rasterized first...to create Text Crumbling,or other ON Text

-Text....the actual text

Each is on its own Layer.....meaning you can continue editing and adjusting each....(with Layer Linking- can do multiple at same time can learn later)...even add FX etc.

Do this more than once to practice...then it will be clear, and will laugh at how simple and easy to do later for anything similar.

Just quick example- using my own random image...and not going for explosive effect...but to show can do similarly with anything..

9E4EAC5B-19F0-49E8-8574-89F0001EBE4C.thumb.png.1f61568dc4955fefbac4cb68f217508b.png

Edited by StudioJason
Add examples

36 minutes ago, Josie said:

The thing I’m confused about is in the video when he goes to drawing brushes and I don’t have that on my iPad and I have taken a lot of notes on this as well

You do have that on iPad....Paintbrush and Eraser brush is what he is using (the little pencil...is actually for the eraser....Brush is for pencil, ink, oils etc- actual drawing).

I’m on an iPad Pro...so know it can be confusing...taking from Desktop Tutorials...but the basics are the same. Sometimes, just a matter of different areas or places where things are....as we have no Toolbar at top (but most everything is there...just have to locate).

In using the Eraser....he is simply mimicking the same thing as a Brush would do.

‘Brush- White Color..to Add, based on white text....Black Color...to Hide (just like Erase) based on Black background.

Eraser simply doing what it does....to reduce or clear.