You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Websites, UI, Flyers & Logos - Is Affinity Designer the product to go?

Dear Affinity team and users,

I came recently across your product. I am currently looking for a product which covers my interests. I am more of a developer than a designer, but occasionally I have or want to do some design work my self.

Most of the time I get asked to design a simple website, create a Flyer to print or a Logo. For my pet projects I would like to be able to create game assets for 2D development (e.g. Pixel Art) and UI-elements. I am also interested into digital painting and own a Wacom tablet. Until yesterday, I thought I am going to buy Pixelmator/Acorn and Sketch, then I saw your product.

For the Flyer and Logo use cases, it seems that the Affinity Designer is the perfect solution. Is AD also capable to solve my other use cases? How does it compare to Software like Sketch which is focused on Web/UI? Is web and UI design a use case that you try to solve with your product?

Thank you for answering my questions.

Hi Halcyon,

welcome to the Affinity and the forum. 

I have used DrawPlus for ages now and hope that AD will fill that gap on Mac OSX. There really is no other program that balances ease of use, cost and sheer ability to get those ideas out of your head and onto the screen.

My biggest usage for AD and DP is poster and flyer designs too. If you're interested in placing text and images/photos together, then go for it! If there is one thing I do know, it's this you can't really go wrong at this price, especially over the following months when the other two sibling products are launched. All coming together in an affordable trinity. Fully intergrated.

As for your other projects/tasks I'm not the one to ask: ask the staff directly, I don't think they bite - much! :D

MacBook pro, 2.26 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4 GB 1067 MHz DDR3, NVIDIA GeForce 9400M 256 MB, OS X 10.11.6

http://www.pinterest.com/peter2111

• Staff

Hey halcyon,

I think Affinity Designer + Affinity Photo would suit you nicely (but I would say that wouldn't I? :) )

Affinity Designer is going live around the world as we speak - in the App Store (live from New Zealand to India at the last count, and sweeping west through Europe to the US later tonight.. or morning.. or something.. depending on your timezone).

Affinity Photo will enter free public beta within 2 months (hopefully less, but no promises), and last about 3 months - just the same as Designer. So you could start off with Designer and evaluate Photo for free, if you would like.

Hope this helps!

AndyS

Thank you Peter and AndyS for your answers - helps already a lot. The price is indeed very attractive, compared to other software providers in these area. Still AD looks more than a professional tool, than a entry-, or mid-level tool. I was just wondering, which uses cases the developers want to cover with their product, and which they see as feature creep (i.e. CSS export?) - some times less is more. Also I am interested to hear, what other users of AD achieved in the beta stadium, which have similar requirements to their design software as I do.

One important question: Will you provide the ability to write plug-ins for your software suite?