You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Publisher: exporting to PDF with Bleed + Crop Marks = incorrect dimensions

Hi, I'm trying to export a print-ready PDF from my Publisher document.

My printer requires a 3mm bleed around my A4 sized document, with crop marks. So I've set my bleed to 3mm all around, and it looks ok when I edit my document (the bleed guide-lines are correctly displayed on the screen).

But exporting is giving me  a headache:

• When I export without crop marks, the document comes out correct: 303mm x 216mm (which is A4+added bleed: 297+3+3 x 210+3+3)
  • As soon as I export WITH crop marks, my document comes out bigger: 316mm x 229mm, which is bigger than my printer expects

How do I export with bleed and crop marks to the correct dimensions?

Thanks!

If the crop marks where in the 303x216 you would not see them if the image went to the edge of the bleed around, if they were in the bleed there is a chance that the crop marks would be visable when the pages are cut to size if they were slightly off alignment, hence you have bleed so you do not end up with a white stripe down one side or whatever the paper colour is. Most commercial printers work to SRA sizes SRA4 is 320x225.

The only way would to be to set up a custom template with 3mm bleed and draw the crop marks on the template, unless anyone else knows different

Alan Pickup

Windows 11 Home all Affinity suite of Apps PC and Gigabyte Laptop 16gb Ram and Nvidia GTX1660 Super on each.