You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

3D Effect how to change round inner corners to sharp

I need the round inner corners to be sharp like the outer corners but I cant find a way to achieve this. 

3d Corners.jpg

Affinity Suite 1.9.1 | Big Sur 11.6.1 | MacBook Pro (15-inch, 2016) | 2.9 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7 | 16 GB 2133 MHz LPDDR3 | AMD Radeon Pro 460 | 1TB Apple NVME SSD | LG Ultrafine 5K

You can't sharpen that point because there are no nodes to work with, even if you expanded the stroke the 3D effect wouldn't change and the node nearest the curve will be a sharp node.

The fx is like a virtual raster effect.

The only way to get sharp 3D is to construct it, using the contour tool to get a quick sharp inner shape helps but the facets and shading all need to be manually drawn in such is the art of vectors.

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

2 minutes ago, firstdefence said:

You can't sharpen that point because there are no nodes to work with, even if you expanded the stroke the 3D effect wouldn't change and the node nearest the curve will be a sharp node.

The fx is like a virtual raster effect.

The only way to get sharp 3D is to construct it, using the contour tool to get a quick sharp inner shape helps but the facets and shading all need to be manually drawn in such is the art of vectors.

Makes sense 🧐, thank you for clarifying this. 

Affinity Suite 1.9.1 | Big Sur 11.6.1 | MacBook Pro (15-inch, 2016) | 2.9 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7 | 16 GB 2133 MHz LPDDR3 | AMD Radeon Pro 460 | 1TB Apple NVME SSD | LG Ultrafine 5K

You could fake it by overlaying a patch for each colour, layer opacity at 75% to show the effect. This would save having to build it all.

image.png.934cfd3aa50723e6357f2b02673ae006.png

image.png.3f0483f896f23871a83233be9405e2c3.png

image.png.f7304a375383c98cbbabbc5439ba031f.png

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

14 minutes ago, firstdefence said:

You could fake it by overlaying a patch for each colour, layer opacity at 75% to show the effect. This would save having to build it all.

Yes, thats a good idea. Gonna go with this, saves me a lot of time...

Thank you, that helped me a lot.

You're welcome ed.