You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Can't add nodes to curves with the pen tool

In the previous versions of Designer it was possible to add nodes on curves on the fly while drawing with the pen tool, by pressing ctrl and hence temporarly converting the pen tool to the nodes tool.

Currently (1.9) pressing ctrl while drawing curves with the pen tool temporarly activates the nodes tool but with the function to delete portions (small X icon close to the cursor), even if in the bottom bar it says that clicking one should be able to add nodes.

Please go back to the previous behaviour, thanks.

• Staff

Hi Aleksandr Novakov,

This is something we're aware of and is with development to be fixed. Unfortunately its a side effect if introducing the ability to delete curve segments by holding down Ctrl whilst in the Node Tool.

On Windows this conflicts with the key to temporarily switch to the Node Tool whilst in the Pen Tool.

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Aleksandr Novakov said:

You're probably aware of it, but even after the latest update (1.9.1.979) this is still an issue. Sorry for bothering. 😓 Just to remind.

I hope the fix for this is scheduled for 1.9.2 - crippling the pen tool in exactly Affinity Designer is a self-destructive business move.

• "The user interface is supposed to work for me - I am not supposed to work for the user interface."
  • Computer-, operating system- and software agnostic; I am a result oriented professional. Look for a fanboy somewhere else.
  • “When a wise man points at the moon the imbecile examines the finger.” ― Confucius
  • Not an Affinity user og forum user anymore. The software continued to disappoint and not deliver.

On 3/1/2021 at 7:05 AM, Aleksandr Novakov said:

You're probably aware of it, but even after the latest update (1.9.1.979) this is still an issue. Sorry for bothering. 😓 Just to remind.

+1. 

I've spend quite some time today trying to get Ctrl to access the node tool from the pen tool without success. I guess I should have searched the bugs forum earlier. Note the issue applies to both Designer and Publisher 19.1.979

Intel i7-10700 Gen10 CPU, 32GB RAM, Geforce GTX 1660 OC 6GB
Windows 10 Pro 22H2, 1x 1TB M.2 NVMe, 1 x 2TB M.2 NVMe. Affinity APh, APu, ADe

• 6 months later...

Hey!! Anyone hearing?

This is still an issue on Windows after a lot of updates already.

A simple option would be to assign [ctrl+shift+click on a curve] either for deleting it or to add a node on it and leave [ctrl+click on a curve] for the other operation.

Come on, I don't think it's so difficult to get such a behaviour. Please!

• 1 month later...