You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Para style for first lines

2 hours ago, pcdlibrary said:

Need to create a para style for the first line of each para in a story.

I think that you'll be better served using a Character Style.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

1 hour ago, Old Bruce said:

I think that you'll be better served using a Character Style.

Using a Character Style is right for one line at a time. I need to automate for the entire story. I have a para style in ID; created a new line style that uses my First Line char style. Works fine in ID. Exported to idml; imported in Publisher; it does not work here.

1 minute ago, pcdlibrary said:

Using a Character Style is right for one line at a time. I need to automate for the entire story. I have a para style in ID; created a new line style that uses my First Line char style. Works fine in ID. Exported to idml; imported in Publisher; it does not work here.

That is because publisher does not know where the end of the first line is. You can use the First Line Character Style for Initial Words in a Paragraph Style but there is now way of dealing with an arbitrary number of words in the first line.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

1 hour ago, pcdlibrary said:

imported in Publisher; it does not work here.

Of course not. Publisher doesn't have this functionality. (Yet.)
This is what it can do: affinity.help/publisher/English.lproj/pages/Text/initialWords.html

1 hour ago, pcdlibrary said:

I need to automate for the entire story.

Then use the tool that can do it. As of today, InDesign is the tool for this job.

It's really that simple.™

MacBookAir 15": MacOS Ventura > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // MacBookPro 15" mid-2012: MacOS El Capitan > Affinity v1 / MacOS Catalina > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // iPad 8th: iPadOS 16 > Affinity v2

It (line styles) is actually a pretty nifty feature in Adobe InDesign:

https://creativepro.com/line-styles-indesign/

• "The user interface is supposed to work for me - I am not supposed to work for the user interface."
  • Computer-, operating system- and software agnostic; I am a result oriented professional. Look for a fanboy somewhere else.
  • “When a wise man points at the moon the imbecile examines the finger.” ― Confucius
  • Not an Affinity user og forum user anymore. The software continued to disappoint and not deliver.

7 hours ago, Jowday said:

actually a pretty nifty feature in Adobe InDesign

Yep, I like it, too. But it hasn't been there all the time either: it came with CS4. Having skipped that version myself – this being one of the few features I would have really liked to have – and upgraded from CS3 to CS5.5, I didn't get it until late 2011, after more than 10 years of working with InDesign. Until then, I'd be using workarounds with InDesign 2 (not CS) and CS3 as well, just like all of us.

The APu workarounds for the time being – until they implement it as a "big feature" some time in the long distance future – are:

• Define an invisible end character with Initial Words and tweak each paragraph manually
  • Use a character style with a keyboard shortcut, jump with keyboard shortcuts from paragraph begin to end of line, apply character style, jump to next paragraph begin etc. If you have a macro utility like Keyboard Maestro, you can combine those shortcuts into one macro shortcut, or run a full macro loop that will process the whole text in one go.
  • …? (fill in your own ideas here… ;))

MacBookAir 15": MacOS Ventura > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // MacBookPro 15" mid-2012: MacOS El Capitan > Affinity v1 / MacOS Catalina > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // iPad 8th: iPadOS 16 > Affinity v2

1 hour ago, loukash said:

Yep, I like it, too. But it hasn't been there all the time either: it came with CS4.

Correct and I do not use it that much myself. I am also not sure Serif will implement it at all. Not before the backlog is almost emptied.

• "The user interface is supposed to work for me - I am not supposed to work for the user interface."
  • Computer-, operating system- and software agnostic; I am a result oriented professional. Look for a fanboy somewhere else.
  • “When a wise man points at the moon the imbecile examines the finger.” ― Confucius
  • Not an Affinity user og forum user anymore. The software continued to disappoint and not deliver.

1 minute ago, Jowday said:

do not use it that much myself

Neither do I but it's nice to have when appropriate. And for short documents that I'd usually have to deal with, the workarounds are good enough.

4 hours ago, loukash said:

Yep, I like it, too. But it hasn't been there all the time either: it came with CS4. Having skipped that version myself – this being one of the few features I would have really liked to have – and upgraded from CS3 to CS5.5, I didn't get it until late 2011, after more than 10 years of working with InDesign. Until then, I'd be using workarounds with InDesign 2 (not CS) and CS3 as well, just like all of us.

The APu workarounds for the time being – until they implement it as a "big feature" some time in the long distance future – are:

• Define an invisible end character with Initial Words and tweak each paragraph manually
  • Use a character style with a keyboard shortcut, jump with keyboard shortcuts from paragraph begin to end of line, apply character style, jump to next paragraph begin etc. If you have a macro utility like Keyboard Maestro, you can combine those shortcuts into one macro shortcut, or run a full macro loop that will process the whole text in one go.
  • …? (fill in your own ideas here… ;))

You're going back a ways. Do you remember Adobe PageMaker & "window shades"?

Just now, pcdlibrary said:

Do you remember Adobe PageMaker

I started in 1989 with Aldus PageMaker 3 that some good soul installed on a freely accessible Macintosh SE/30 in a public university library. They also had 300 dpi LaserWriter, so that was where I laid out my first pages, without any experience in computer – let alone DTP – whatsoever because earlier that decade at the art school, we'd still learned everything the "old school" by hand. Later I also worked on PM 4.2 and went through XPress 3 & 4 as well as my beloved Freehand 9, until InDesign 2 came along. That was a relief! And it ran on OS X!

And frankly, I still do like InDesign. I just don't like Adobe's business model. So they won't get my money anymore. CS5.5 still runs alright on El Capitan, but if I ever move on to Catalina for good, I'll want to be using Affinity full time. Hence I'm trying to get used to it as far as possible, inventing and adapting new workflows while attempting to "reprogram" my crusty "Adobe mindset". Currently I'm also testing solutions to create CMYK separations from Affinity PDF/X output via Ghostscript to mimic one of the very few advanced control functions I'm occasionally needing Acrobat X for.

6 hours ago, loukash said:

And frankly, I still do like InDesign. I just don't like Adobe's business model. So they won't get my money anymore. CS5.5 still runs alright on El Capitan, but if I ever move on to Catalina for good, I'll want to be using Affinity full time. Hence I'm trying to get used to it as far as possible, inventing and adapting new workflows while attempting to "reprogram" my crusty "Adobe mindset". Currently I'm also testing solutions to create CMYK separations from Affinity PDF/X output via Ghostscript to mimic one of the very few advanced control functions I'm occasionally needing Acrobat X for.

PageMaker 3.00 Aldus PageMaker, later Adobe PageMaker, is a desktop publishing program for Mac and Windows. First released in 1985, PageMaker was the first desktop publishing program for the Macintosh. It was followed over a year later with the release of 1.0 for the IBM PC. I still have PM7 in my collection.