You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Ability to Remap Numeric Keypad Separately

I assume the numbers on a numeric keypad still map to layer opacity just like the row of numbers on a keyboard. (I don't own a keyboard with a number pad.)

Would be nice if these can be mapped separately because I'd like to get an external numpad and create a custom shortcut keyboard that I can use with one hand, swapping tools or changing brush size, while working on an iPad connected to the Mac using sidecar. With a regular keyboard, even a small one, it's just too big for easy reach.

Has anyone tried this with a one-handed gaming keyboard?

Thanks.

You can create a custom keyboard layout, remapping the NumPad to any random Unicode characters not available otherwise, and assign those to the tools you want to use.

software.sil.org/ukelele

I'm using a custom keyboard layout since years, combining the Swiss German keyboard of my MacBook with the ability to type Czech diacritics plus other minor modifications. For example, I have switched the "!" character to be accessible without the shift modifier which means I can now use "!" as another unique tool shortcut. (Mmmm… Cats! :D)

MacBookAir 15": MacOS Ventura > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // MacBookPro 15" mid-2012: MacOS El Capitan > Affinity v1 / MacOS Catalina > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // iPad 8th: iPadOS 16 > Affinity v2

Was able to create exactly what I wanted using Karabiner — Ukulele, in the end, can't set a key to a modifier (CMD), which I want so I can rotate the canvas using my mouse.

Between this & my drawing tablet, it works great so far.

IMG_7487.jpg.98dff74118e9dd8d1b66b72a131a1708.jpg

Now I just wish I had the ability to hand-paint keys so I could make them look nicer.

Great!
Karabiner & Ukelele are essential tools. Karabiner ever since I got a MacBook Pro in 2008 to replace a PowerBook G4 because 1) I still need the Enter key where now the right Option key sits, and 2) fn-NumPad for InDesign CS text styles shortcuts…

MacBookAir 15": MacOS Ventura > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // MacBookPro 15" mid-2012: MacOS El Capitan > Affinity v1 / MacOS Catalina > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // iPad 8th: iPadOS 16 > Affinity v2

To Future Me (because you will definitely forget how to do this):

The documentation for Karabiner is pure geek-speak and the examples are pretty much worthless, so here's the code you used to change one of the keys in a file called zoom-fit.json…

{
  "title": "Zoom to Fit",
  "rules": [
    {
      "description": "Press keypad_0 to get CMD/0",
      "manipulators": [
        {
          "type": "basic",
          "from": {
            "key_code": "keypad_0"
          },
          "to": [
            {
              "key_code": "0",
              "modifiers": ["command"]
            }
          ]
        }
      ]
    }
  ]
}

IMG_7491.thumb.jpg.4abc2d1f7d3f8252899e2b7f6cd21ba4.jpg

For those who care, I attached the keypad to a clipboard from which I ripped off the attached paper clip and then using velcro Command Strips to attached the keypad. It fits between the tablet and those holders of the stand on the bottom (KABCON tablet stand).

For those who don't care, move along. Nothing interesting here.

Sorry, loukash, if you're getting a bothersome email for this, but you really solved my problems with the direction you gave.

Oh, for those wondering why I made this when I have those keys built into the tablet: I wanted more so I don't have to have my whole keyboard in the way with keys widely space & impossible to hit without looking. I can remove this contraption if I don't need it. The weight of the tablet is holding it in place.

(Oh, and Future Me, this works on Big Sur. The problem is with your coding, not the system.)

3 hours ago, skmwrp said:

The documentation for Karabiner is pure geek-speak and the examples are pretty much worthless

Yeah, some time ago I also had to rewrite one of the https://ke-complex-modifications.pqrs.org examples until it worked as a NumPad the way that I wanted.
Which is strange because one of the early incarnations before it became "Karabiner" had a NumPad simulation built in. But that may have been on Leopard or Snow Leopard while there weren't that many system restrictions yet.