You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Option to check for update at startup or manually

Yesterday my ISP had problem and I've been two hours without internet access ( so awful 😉).

I was using Photo (Desktop) and a few other software at the same time for the work I was doing, so when I was done with Photo I shut it down and reopened it when needed. Instead of the 3 or 4 seconds it takes to start it took around 15 seconds, maybe more. So I'm quite sure it's because it was looking to see if and update was availble and then, after a time out period, I could work. This is how I found out that I had no Internet access.

So I was wondering if a check box of some kind could be added to the preferences module to enable/disable automatic lookup for an update at startup. An option could be added to the main menu somewhere to check manually for an update... some day when you don't have much to do....  as I know it's not the most important feature to add.

-- Window 11 - 32 gb - Intel I7 - 8700 - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060
-- iPad Pro 2020 - 12,9 - 256 gb - Apple Pencil 2 -- iPad 9th gen 256 gb - Apple Pencil 1
-- Macbook Air 15"

39 minutes ago, AlainP said:

So I was wondering if a check box of some kind could be added to the preferences module to enable/disable automatic lookup for an update at startup. An option could be added to the main menu somewhere to check manually for an update...

PhotoPlus, the ‘legacy’ image editing application from Serif, has both of those options (which is just as well, since there’s obviously no point in checking for updates to a software product which is no longer being developed).

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

2 hours ago, Alfred said:

PhotoPlus, the ‘legacy’ image editing application from Serif, has both of those options (which is just as well, since there’s obviously no point in checking for updates to a software product which is no longer being developed).

I will go back to PhotoPlus until this is fixed !

-- iPad Pro 2020 - 12,9 - 256 gb - Apple Pencil 2 -- iPad 9th gen 256 gb - Apple Pencil 1
-- Macbook Air 15"

56 minutes ago, AlainP said:

I will go back to PhotoPlus until this is fixed !

C'mon.... that's a joke ! I'm very pleased with Affinity apps.

-- Macbook Air 15"

• Staff

until the windows version has binary (smaller delta) updates we have avoided putting in the check for updates that the Mac version does have. We think that version 2 will be built on slightly different installer technology that will make binary updates more straightforward, so in fact the option for the Windows build to check for updates (although unrelated) will probably be programmed at that point. 

n.b. although PhotoPlus had this facility, the developer released almost no updates after the initial release, it always replied "you are using the latest version" so having the feature is not the most important thing.... ;) 

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon