You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Publisher 1.9 / Mavericks / Paragraph Panel

Richard A J

I have already posted this to the general forum, but it does seem like it could be a functionality bug. So I am reporting this here as it affects functionality and usability in a very fundamental way:

I am a very new user (Feb 11th), I do have experience with Quark and InDesign though. This is looking like a great application and will suit my needs better as time marches on. But I do have a query, if anybody can help. I have a sample of text typed into a text frame (as per the image). I want to change the paragraph attributes (space after, space before etc). But if I type in a new figure into the attributes panel it will not apply the adjustment and simply defaults back to the shown settings (supplied defaults). I can adjust leading with no issues, that works perfectly. I can add drop caps but only with the default settings, if I change a drop cap default setting is reverts back to default and will not 'stick'. I can add tabs to the text box via the text box ruler, but again if I try to add tabs in the paragraph attributes it will not work. These attributes simply will not alter and stay altered, almost as though the commands are not getting through and reverting straight back to defaults.

After a few offered solutions and fixes that have not worked, I have come to the conclusion that this is a bug. I have downloaded the latest beta and the issue persists. I have also now downloaded 1.8.6 and that works perfectly.

Another issue is that I cannot register the software - the top right 'Account' button has no functionality at all - there is no tool-tip hint when hovering over and it appears to not be 'clickable'.

I am on Mac OS10.9.5, I appreciate this is an older system, but it is listed as compatible. Currently, due to other software, I cannot upgrade the Mac OS.

Sorry to duplicate an issue on the forums.

Many thanks.

screenshot.png

Other topic:

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

It's best not to create duplicate threads. And it's best when reporting bugs to report them in separate threads, as that makes problem tracking simpler for Serif.

3 hours ago, Richard A J said:

Another issue is that I cannot register the software - the top right 'Account' button has no functionality at all - there is no tool-tip hint when hovering over and it appears to not be 'clickable'.

But that one has an easy answer. That new function is restricted to MacOS Sierra or higher, due to functional issues with Safari on older systems that they found late in the beta testing cycle.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Thank you. Sorry about the duplicate post. But it went from me thinking I was missing something and seeking advice, to being a potential bug issue. I'm from a fairly chaotic production environment and need to know software will do the task. I really like the look of Publisher, but need to be very confident it won't let me down.